Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Ohlins R/T coilovers W/12KG swift springs install pics.

Decided to pull the trigger on a set of Ohlins R/T with 12Kg Swift springs, best thing I ever did! Car handles like a dream, exspeacially noticable when turning hard right, to hard left the cars just responds beautifully! I have my dampers a bit softer than most 10-11 clicks from softest. This kit is just quality beyond words. The only slight issure I had was the damper was at softest setting, I took the adjuster off the top and the allen insert came out with adjuster and I lost it for a hour, just be sure to check when taking off adjuster.

Here is the Kit (I also got new tophats and endlinks from HP Autosport):

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I made a big mistake of putting the seal where the spring meets the adjuster (other coilovers I had did this) and had to take the rear springs back out to fix it LOL!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Got all new hardware:

Click here to enlarge

Install pics:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Brake dust shields got on my nerves so they are gone:

Click here to enlarge

How the car sits (I adjusted it high so it had room to settle).

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice! Car looks great man. How much better do these ride compared to your BC coils?
    2015 F10 M5 \ Alpinweiss

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Nice! Car looks great man. How much better do these ride compared to your BC coils?
    pretty noticeable, especially the way it handles bumps and uneven payment. These really fine when going side to side....very impressive!
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I notice a big difference in my own car vs others going over bumps as well. I think the swift springs being linear really transform the way the car responds. FWIW, i have swift springs on the HPA Autowerks Koni coilover kit w/Vorshlag camber plates. Only thing I'm debating on changing is the camber plates out for stock upper mounts, its just transfers too much nvh for a daily driver(unless the road is butter smooth).
    2015 F10 M5 \ Alpinweiss

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I notice a big difference in my own car vs others going over bumps as well. I think the swift springs being linear really transform the way the car responds. FWIW, i have swift springs on the HPA Autowerks Koni coilover kit w/Vorshlag camber plates. Only thing I'm debating on changing is the camber plates out for stock upper mounts, its just transfers too much nvh for a daily driver(unless the road is butter smooth).
    couldn't agree more! Harold has tophats for $179 a pair. I have mine set a bit on the softer side and it still handles like a dream!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the write up, I'm probably goin all in with the Ohlin's kit myself and will be self installed as well (with a lot of help hopefully). Definitely gettin some of those furniture hole covers too for the adjusters in the trunk; BRILLIANT! (said with my best Scottish accent)....don't be surprised if I shoot you a question or two if I run into install problems; you might have to bail me out at some point.....have heard nothing but good things about the Ohlins...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nikitino25 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the write up, I'm probably goin all in with the Ohlin's kit myself and will be self installed as well (with a lot of help hopefully). Definitely gettin some of those furniture hole covers too for the adjusters in the trunk; BRILLIANT! (said with my best Scottish accent)....don't be surprised if I shoot you a question or two if I run into install problems; you might have to bail me out at some point.....have heard nothing but good things about the Ohlins...
    I appreciate that! Only hard thing was rear springs, most coilovers don't use the spring pocket and you can pop the spring in and out by stepping on the hub...Ohlins uses the spring pockets.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Stance looks great.

Well detailed pics. You post awesome content man.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Stance looks great.

Well detailed pics. You post awesome content man.
    you have a great forum to post on my friend...love it here!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    you have a great forum to post on my friend...love it here!
    Glad to hear it!
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @robc1976 In your opinion, if you are not going to track the car, are these COs worth it?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have these on my 135i. Went with 7kg swift springs on the front and 12kgs swift springs on the rear. Both 1" shorter than the Ohlins springs.
    Good quality dampers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    I have these on my 135i. Went with 7kg swift springs on the front and 12kgs swift springs on the rear. Both 1" shorter than the Ohlins springs.
    Good quality dampers.
    What's the purpose of shorter springs? Also how would you describe the overall ride quality? Do you get that solid planted feel at high speed?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What's the purpose of shorter springs? Also how would you describe the overall ride quality? Do you get that solid planted feel at high speed?
    More adjustability of the ride height, and to situate the front spring perch above the tyre.

I've hit 200+kmh over a crest on track and car is rock solid, but it was the solid on my previous suspension as well (BMW performance kit and M3 bits).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    More adjustability of the ride height, and to situate the front spring perch above the tyre.

I've hit 200+kmh over a crest on track and car is rock solid, but it was the solid on my previous suspension as well (BMW performance kit and M3 bits).
    So you had the BMW performance suspension before the Ohlins and you liked it as well? The BMW PS kit is kind of my second choice; How much better are the Ohlins and is the higher price worth it over the BMW PS kit?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you had the BMW performance suspension before the Ohlins and you liked it as well? The BMW PS kit is kind of my second choice; How much better are the Ohlins and is the higher price worth it over the BMW PS kit?
    What are you going to use the car for and how good a driver are you?
    I'm still a beginner on the track and probably didn't need to change to the coilovers but I tend to get carried away easily.

The performance suspension is actually really good, IMO it's how the car should have come from the factory.
    I'm not a suspension guru so not sure how to explain if the Ohlins are really worth twice as much, but you can tell they're quality by the fact it rides just as well in daily driving with nearly twice the spring rate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What are you going to use the car for and how good a driver are you?
    I'm still a beginner on the track and probably didn't need to change to the coilovers but I tend to get carried away easily.

The performance suspension is actually really good, IMO it's how the car should have come from the factory.
    I'm not a suspension guru so not sure how to explain if the Ohlins are really worth twice as much, but you can tell they're quality by the fact it rides just as well in daily driving with nearly twice the spring rate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I may only do one or two track days ever (in this car), mainly I just haul ass in Mexico on curvy roads, highways etc. I hated the ride with sport suspension and run flats so I switched to michelin PSS non run flats just recently and the ride is better but still too bouncy and not controlled in my opinion(sloppy is the best way to describe it). The bmw PS might work for me but one thing I hate is when you crest a hill and the car floats like a boat and kind of rises and falls or bounces up and down more than it should. Car also feels like a boat when I accelerate now meaning that the rear squats and the front end feels like a boat rising out of the water if u know what i mean. I should probably just go with the bmw ps for half the price if they can cure these maladies but the ohlins are singing to me like a siren song; like it's going to be a magic carpet ride or something. I just want to feel in control, planted, and not bouncing up and down and all around when i'm doing 150....in Mexico. Will the bmw ps suffice? More opinions welcome....
    Last edited by nikitino25; 09-27-2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: change

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I may only do one or two track days ever (in this car), mainly I just haul ass in Mexico on curvy roads, highways etc. I hated the ride with sport suspension and run flats so I switched to michelin PSS non run flats just recently and the ride is better but still too bouncy and not controlled in my opinion(sloppy is the best way to describe it). The bmw PS might work for me but one thing I hate is when you crest a hill and the car floats like a boat and kind of rises and falls or bounces up and down more than it should. Car also feels like a boat when I accelerate now meaning that the rear squats and the front end feels like a boat rising out of the water if u know what i mean. I should probably just go with the bmw ps for half the price if they can cure these maladies but the ohlins are singing to me like a siren song; like it's going to be a magic carpet ride or something. I just want to feel in control, planted, and not bouncing up and down and all around when i'm doing 150....in Mexico. Will the bmw ps suffice? More opinions welcome....
    I know what you mean about the stock suspension, it was very vague and not confidence inspiring.
    My opinion is get the PS, Dinan Camber plates, M3 front control arms and rear subframe bushings. That's what I had before getting coilovers.
    Perfect set it and forget it set up that will give you no problems.
    Comfy for daily driver, and feels rock solid and when pushing it, even on fast bumpy twisty roads.

If your budget stretches then I've heard the M3 rear guide rod and upper links help as well but I have no direct experience with them.

The only planned change I have left is a LSD and DEFIV lockdown kit, which are both on the way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know what you mean about the stock suspension, it was very vague and not confidence inspiring.
    My opinion is get the PS, Dinan Camber plates, M3 front control arms and rear subframe bushings. That's what I had before getting coilovers.
    Perfect set it and forget it set up that will give you no problems.
    Comfy for daily driver, and feels rock solid and when pushing it, even on fast bumpy twisty roads.

If your budget stretches then I've heard the M3 rear guide rod and upper links help as well but I have no direct experience with them.

The only planned change I have left is a LSD and DEFIV lockdown kit, which are both on the way.
    Why did you end up getting rid of the PS kit?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Nugs

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I started going to the track about a year ago which I hadn't intended to do in this car. At my skill level I probably didn't need coilovers but like most of you I have the sickness where I like wasting money on my car Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hear ya man, unfortunately I suffer from the same affliction. I'm kind of leaning toward the BMW PS kit right now and just calling it a day....