Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

MotorTrend compares the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 versus the Porsche 991 Carrera 4S and... Ferrari F12 Berlinetta

Porsche 911 versus Chevrolet Corvette is a never ending battle that repeats itself with every new generation and iteration of these cars. A comparison between the two is pretty much expected and Edmunds already compared these two vehicles earlier this year. Now MotorTrend gets their turn for the comparison but they threw a wildcard into the mix. Is anyone cross shopping a Ferrari F12 Berlinetta with a 911 or Corvette? No. Do we care? No.

Click here to enlarge

The F12 is an awesome car and it is fun to simply see it in action. So what if it does not fit in perfectly the car is there to provide context and seeing numbers from the V12 Italian beast makes it more than worth including.

So how do the cars stack up? The Corvette is obviously the value starting at $54,795. The Porsche 911 C4S starts at $106,580. The Porsche price sounds expensive until we get to the starting price point of the Ferrari F12 at $322,638. It also has over $100,000 in options in it (yes, more money in options than the Corvette costs) but who's counting at that point?

The C4S despite its all wheel drive and dual clutch transmission is the lightest car at 3394 pounds, impressive. The Vette is slightly heavier at 3444 pounds but the F12 comes in at a portly 4003 pounds. It is clearly far more GT than nimble sports car when in this company.

Now which is the fastest? Well, the F12 Ferrari as it better be for that money. [email protected] in the 1/4 mile which is essentially Ferrari Enzo supercar territory. Not bad for such a heavy car as the dual clutch transmission and Enzo derived and tweaked 6.3 liter 731 horsepower V12 clearly shows its muscle.

The F12 having the quickest and fastest time is to be expected so let's get to the two cars that are closer in their respective performance envelopes and positioning. The C4S manages a [email protected] with 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. Quick, definitely. The Vette out-muscles the C4S though as we have already seen in the previous Edmunds comparison with a [email protected]. The 460 horsepower 6.2 liter V8 under the hood simply uses brute force to win whereas the 911 uses a more sophisticated technological approach with its dual clutch transmission to make up for the displacement disadvantage. The more things change the more they stay the same.

The Carrera S has an optional Power Kit which bumps horsepower by 30 which would likely make the acceleration sprint a wash between it and the C7 Corvette if it really bothers a Carrera S owner. He will just have to pay through the nose for it and the Corvette owner always has power modifications on his side for far less money simply due to the nature of the domestic aftermarket. There is a certain appeal to cheap(er) power, isn't there?

Which is the best? That really is up to you and your wallet to decide. We're getting to the point that cars are getting so good one can not go wrong with any of these. If you're paying though, I'll take the prancing horse.

Click here to enlarge
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Video added:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That F12 sounds $#@!ing beautiful. Don't see the point of this comparison however.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I actually like these comparison's, the Corvette is one of the US's best auto's available and one of the only true 2 passenger sports cars made in the states, so regardless of price point good to see how it stacks up against the foreign high priced auto's. I love Vette's always have, probably always will, and IMO the C7 hits it out of the park, as did the C6 as well. Can't wait for a Z06.

I don't understand why people think the comparison doesn't make sense...cause of price point? No it's not fair, but if GM had a budget of say $150k COST to work with, just imagine, we build some awesome cars over here too, and these comparisons point that out.
    2013 Audi S6 stock but shopping....
    2014 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins. Far from stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    I don't understand why people think the comparison doesn't make sense...cause of price point? No it's not fair, but if GM had a budget of say $150k COST to work with, just imagine, we build some awesome cars over here too, and these comparisons point that out.
    Bold is correct. Statement after that isn't reality so that's why I feel it dousn't make sense. I don't know what other reasons people have but that is mine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Bold is correct. Statement after that isn't reality so that's why I feel it dousn't make sense. I don't know what other reasons people have but that is mine.
    It's an opinion, how can it be "incorrect"? You make no sense, so you think they should only compare cars that sell for an MSRP within what? $10k of each other? $20k? Why does it matter cost? You are not an enthusiast if all you see here is three prices as opposed to three automobiles, which seems to be your case. Is it fair to rate them on best auto? I dunno, maybe not, but nothing wrong with comparing two cars to see how they stack up. I suppose you don't like to see Cobra vs Corvette write-ups or videos too? Since they are NOT "designed" or "marketed" to compete against one another?

Hey man, to each their own and that's YOUR opinion, but don't tell me only part of my OPINION is correct, it is an OPINION, there is no right or wrong correct/incorrect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That F12 sounds $#@!ing beautiful. Don't see the point of this comparison however.
    The F12 got thrown in for fun. It obviously isn't a target for either car.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's an opinion, how can it be "incorrect"? You make no sense, so you think they should only compare cars that sell for an MSRP within what? $10k of each other? $20k? Why does it matter cost? You are not an enthusiast if all you see here is three prices as opposed to three automobiles, which seems to be your case. Is it fair to rate them on best auto? I dunno, maybe not, but nothing wrong with comparing two cars to see how they stack up. I suppose you don't like to see Cobra vs Corvette write-ups or videos too? Since they are NOT "designed" or "marketed" to compete against one another?

Hey man, to each their own and that's YOUR opinion, but don't tell me only part of my OPINION is correct, it is an OPINION, there is no right or wrong correct/incorrect.
    You guys are a little high strung today.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    A lot of butthurt on the interwebs lately.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Relax. I was adressing your theoretical statement about GM which isn't true (why it's theoretical.) Seriously settle down it's an opinion of a video I watched which isn't even relevant to me anymore. Move on.

Great, I know it's an opinion? What's your point here? Pretty sure that was made clear. You had a false theoretical statement.

The F12 got thrown in for fun. It obviously isn't a target for either car.
    I know they do these types of things often.

"Guys" should be singular me excluded.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "Guys" should be singular.
    Perhaps but it's more a general statement about the users today not specifically targeting you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Perhaps but it's more a general statement about the users today not specifically targeting you.
    I agree especially in the F80 article yesterday.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For the sake of emissions i'll take the Ferrari!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @E90Company A false theoretical statement? Maybe you should read your text over a couple times before posting, I say imagine if they build a +$150k car and that's somehow a "false statement"? You don't even make sense, wtf is your deal? I really am not high strung, or upset, nor do I take things personal, especially on a forum, but you made a loose idiotic comment. My "point" is quite clear, but what is your's? Don't bother posting in this thread in reply, would rather not muddy it up anymore than it already has thanks to you.

That is all, great video and thanks for posting it Sticky.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You gotta love this forum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You gotta love this forum.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @E90Company A false theoretical statement? Maybe you should read your text over a couple times before posting, I say imagine if they build a +$150k car and that's somehow a "false statement"? You don't even make sense, wtf is your deal? I really am not high strung, or upset, nor do I take things personal, especially on a forum, but you made a loose idiotic comment. My "point" is quite clear, but what is your's? Don't bother posting in this thread in reply, would rather not muddy it up anymore than it already has thanks to you.

That is all, great video and thanks for posting it Sticky.
    Are you seriously still responding? You're beating a dead horse just enjoy the video and thread. And yes, to reiterate for the third time your statement was hypothetical and not true. If you can't see another person's point in a logical discussion you need to go back to grade school and learn not only that, but also the definition of a hypothetical statement. You have no point as of right now as far as i'm concerned so just stop replying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The C7 Corvette is a magnificent car and IMHO prettier and more compelling FOR ME than any other USA car made to date.... my old man who worked for GM for 35+ years would love it to death
    Driving fresh air now

Recent Past
    2015 McLaren 650S
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.motortrend.com/features/laguna_lap/

It's about damn time motor trend actually listened to it's viewers and give a few extra's a shot at the best car driver and show the total laps times to get a comparison! Sad to say it but Viper TA is on top!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm...appalled at the weight of the F12...I thought they were going to be at least 300+ pounds lighter than that...I really thought I read that from several sources. In fact, I know I did. And it is physically smaller than the 599...and the 599 didn't weigh nearly that much. Did Ferrari accidentally leave a couple dead bodies in the trunk? Wow.

EDIT: Wikipedia has it as 3594 curb, which is likely with a 90% full tank of gas. I've seen around that number in several other places too. What the hell was wrong with this one? Are all US F12s this heavy? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    I'm...appalled at the weight of the F12...I thought they were going to be at least 300+ pounds lighter than that...I really thought I read that from several sources. In fact, I know I did. And it is physically smaller than the 599...and the 599 didn't weigh nearly that much. Did Ferrari accidentally leave a couple dead bodies in the trunk? Wow.

EDIT: Wikipedia has it as 3594 curb, which is likely with a 90% full tank of gas. I've seen around that number in several other places too. What the hell was wrong with this one? Are all US F12s this heavy? Click here to enlarge
    I really don't know why it's so damn heavy either. But I still want one...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I really don't know why it's so damn heavy either. But I still want one...
    Next time I'm at the Ferrari Dealer I'm going to have it out with them.....

Who am I kidding. I do too...almost more than an Aventador. That sound is like God smashing every musical instrument in the world at once.