Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

The Audi RS7 beats the Mercedes CLS63 AMG S and BMW M6 Gran Coupe in latest Car and Driver comparison

Congratulations to Audi who continues to rack up the comparison test victories. This particular comparison features the Audi RS7, BMW M6 Gran Coupe, and the new all wheel drive CLS63 AMG S model. The BMW is the only rear wheel drive car but every car features a twin turbo V8 powerplant. Which is the fastest? Well, the M6 features the fastest trap speed at 124 miles per hour. This is without the upcoming Competition Package which will add more power.

The CLS63 AMG despite having the highest horsepower rating at 577 traps less than both Audi and BMW at 122 miles per hour which is a bit surprising. Especially considering it also has the largest motor at 5.5 liters. The 0-130 time is also the slowest at 13.5 seconds. Hardly slow but the slowest out of the three. The Audi RS7 despite having the smallest motor manages to beat the CLS63 to 130 miles per hour and also traps 123 beating the CLS63.

Really, we're splitting hairs here but on paper it was expected for the facelifted Mercedes to easily dispatch with the competition in a straight line. The M6 is hardly light but it is the lightest in this company and the only car featuring a dual clutch transmission which likely contributes to its acceleration advantage once moving. It has the highest trap speed and the quickest 0-130 time. It also is only a tenth of a second off its all wheel drive competition in elapsed time through the quarter mile. Impressive, very impressive.

Despite the M6 impressing it is said to be benign by M standards (which were once lofty). It's good, but just is not as much fun as the Audi on back roads. Odd, considering the RS7 is nose heavy with 56.4/43.6 weight distribution. The M6 manages 51.5/48.5 and the CLS63 55.0/45.0. The all wheel drive cars pay a penalty with more weight on the nose.

Did the Audi RS7 deserve the win? The M6 Gran Coupe is rated as the best in performance. It is rated the best in steering feel which is a bit shocking. It is rated tied for first with the CLS63 in brake feel. It is rated first in handling. It is tied for first with the CLS63 in ride comfort. So why is the Audi more fun exactly when the ratings given especially for fun factor say something different when the M6 and RS7 are tied once scored? It just does not make any sense. Car and Driver writes one thing then scores it differently than what they are saying.

The Audi really picks up points in trunk space, features, styling, comfort, and ergonomics. But is it the best drivers car of the bunch? Did the M6 Gran Coupe get robbed? You decide.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have read elsewhere that the wider rear track of the M6 Gran Coupe provides more rear end grip during cornering than the M5, which causes the car to understeer more than the M5 during braking and turn-in. Maybe this is why the liked the way the Audi drove more. At the same time, this allows you to apply more power on corner exits.

I feel as though the M6 got robbed. I see it as one of the better M cars as of late. And it has an optional 6sp. Does that count for nothing? Some journalists complain about certain cars not being available with a manual transmission, yet the M6 gets no praise for having that box on the options list?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DFM Click here to enlarge
    I have read elsewhere that the wider rear track of the M6 Gran Coupe provides more rear end grip during cornering than the M5, which causes the car to understeer more than the M5 during braking and turn-in. Maybe this is why the liked the way the Audi drove more. At the same time, this allows you to apply more power on corner exits.

I feel as though the M6 got robbed. I see it as one of the better M cars as of late. And it has an optional 6sp. Does that count for nothing? Some journalists complain about certain cars not being available with a manual transmission, yet the M6 gets no praise for having that box on the options list?
    But if they liked how the Audi drove why did they give the M6 a higher handling score and equal points in fun factor?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And it has an optional 6sp. Does that count for nothing?
    You make a good point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    how many Audi ads where in the Car Driver this month? I'll have to look at the magazine again when I find it.

187 to 192 without the fun factor addition. Who drives a car for fun? I mean c'mon. I think fun factor is like pizza and sex you really can't have bad sex or pizza. You will still take it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    But if they liked how the Audi drove why did they give the M6 a higher handling score and equal points in fun factor?
    Disagreement among journalists? I dont understand why, lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by onisyndicate Click here to enlarge
    how many Audi ads where in the Car Driver this month? I'll have to look at the magazine again when I find it.

187 to 192 without the fun factor addition. Who drives a car for fun? I mean c'mon. I think fun factor is like pizza and sex you really can't have bad sex or pizza. You will still take it!
    You most certainly can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You most certainly can.
    I agree strongly. I've had pizza so bad I didn't want it. I've had sex so bad I didn't want it. I felt like I could have done either better on my own.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well you two need to stop eating all the pizza you see and all the sex you can get! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    well you two need to stop eating all the pizza you see and all the sex you can get! Click here to enlarge
    Life surprises you sometimes. You dont always get what you expect

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't see what quantity of sex has to do with quality. Or pizza.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well this escalated quickly. One time I was with a girl....point is she sucked. If I had to choose between no sex ever forever and only whatever the $#@! that was....I honestly don't know what I'd choose.

Point is, this test was garbage. Just like the S6 "beating" the M5 and the E63. I have never seen anybody be so inclined to describe Audi handling the way they describe the RS7. Just doesn't seem right. I mean, it seems that C&D hates the M5 now, so the M6 was doomed from the start. Every review I've read (and I've read them all) of the M6 GC says it handles beautifully, and feels great. You cannot tell me that the boat anchor Audi with its gigantic heavy wheels, Quattro, poor weight distribution, and big engine hung right at the end of the nose (although admittedly farther back than in other RS cars) handles better than the M6. All three are great cars, but I'd personally take the BMW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Well this escalated quickly. One time I was with a girl....point is she sucked. If I had to choose between no sex ever forever and only whatever the $#@! that was....I honestly don't know what I'd choose.

Point is, this test was garbage. Just like the S6 "beating" the M5 and the E63. I have never seen anybody be so inclined to describe Audi handling the way they describe the RS7. Just doesn't seem right. I mean, it seems that C&D hates the M5 now, so the M6 was doomed from the start. Every review I've read (and I've read them all) of the M6 GC says it handles beautifully, and feels great. You cannot tell me that the boat anchor Audi with its gigantic heavy wheels, Quattro, poor weight distribution, and big engine hung right at the end of the nose (although admittedly farther back than in other RS cars) handles better than the M6. All three are great cars, but I'd personally take the BMW.
    I agree with you on the quality of the test but so few tests are good these days. Some of these magazines call taking the car for a spin and then prattling on about their feelings for 5 minutes a test.

Why can't I get these cars to test?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agreed. That's probably why we see such vast differences in what the writers think. One guy says its crap. The guy in the other magazine will say it's amazing. Who to believe? I guess some test drives will be in order.

That would be awesome....German Boost road tests

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    That would be awesome....German Boost road tests
    If I didn't say what they wanted me to say I probably wouldn't get a car to test though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The title says RS7 yet you refer to the car as the RS6 multiple times in your article.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    The title says RS7 yet you refer to the car as the RS6 multiple times in your article.
    My mistake, thanks for pointing it out.