Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This thing is awesome. I would love to own one someday. Black on black for me please.

Need a bigger garage first and "green" source of electricity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I really want to like this car.

Reading the specs though, the range is only 300 miles with electric/gasoline combined. What is the gasoline only range I can't seem to find it?

I thought the point was to spend less time refueling but without the electric motor how far can I get? Additionally, seems to me like the tank is pretty small this should be able to do 300+ miles with the gasoline motor by itself. I don't see less refueling stops.
    I can't find it either. They do confirm in their official press release that it can run on gas alone:

" The BMW i8 has an electronically controlled top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph), which can be reached and maintained when the vehicle operates solely on the gasoline engine."

...they don't list the fuel tank size. Would be awesome if they also could make this flex-fuel so you could run E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I definitely do like it... but come on no three-cylinder junk.
    154HP/L

PWNS UR FACE!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The people commenting on price. I think you are crazy if you think these things will sit on lots. They will probably be marked up 50-100k in California and still sell.

Regarding the "slow" comments. You can bet that most people buying these cars already own a high performance vehicle and this is about more than that - new technology, amazing styling and aerodynamics, making some kind of statement (if you are into that sort of thing), etc...it is not supposed to be the fastest car @ 135k. But I bet people will really be surprised at the performance. It sounds like they built this thing from the ground up to be a drivers car.

Furthermore, 0-60 in 4.4 seconds with all that torque instantly, and easy for the average person to attain? I bet this will be incredibly fun to drive. It's not just about numbers, the car has to respond to input and give feedback properly. The actual driving reviews should tell the story.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by singletrack Click here to enlarge
    I can't find it either. They do confirm in their official press release that it can run on gas alone:

" The BMW i8 has an electronically controlled top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph), which can be reached and maintained when the vehicle operates solely on the gasoline engine."

...they don't list the fuel tank size. Would be awesome if they also could make this flex-fuel so you could run E85.
    The way that is worded gave me pause as well. The 155 can be reached while operating solely with the gasoline engine but can it be reached with the electric/gasoline motor combo or does the electric motor only function due to the transmission on it up until a certain speed?

You'll be able to run E85 no matter what I would think.

I'm already thinking of what the tuning market for this would be like. I wonder if you can increase the voltage to the electric motor say to get it up to close to 200 horsepower at the expense of range. Then a tune/exhaust on the gasoline motor for say close to 50 hp. Now we're talking...
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    154HP/L

PWNS UR FACE!
    I'd rather have a 3.0 liter turbo motor at 100 hp per liter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The people commenting on price. I think you are crazy if you think these things will sit on lots. They will probably be marked up 50-100k in California and still sell.

Regarding the "slow" comments. You can bet that most people buying these cars already own a high performance vehicle and this is about more than that - new technology, amazing styling and aerodynamics, making some kind of statement (if you are into that sort of thing), etc...it is not supposed to be the fastest car @ 135k. But I bet people will really be surprised at the performance. It sounds like they built this thing from the ground up to be a drivers car.

Furthermore, 0-60 in 4.4 seconds with all that torque instantly, and easy for the average person to attain? I bet this will be incredibly fun to drive. It's not just about numbers, the car has to respond to input and give feedback properly. The actual driving reviews should tell the story.
    This is going to be a hot car to be seen in. It looks like you are driving something from the future. I like that, I like it a lot.

For $135k it's perfectly reasonable IMO. Performance will likely be at the same level of an E92 M3 but it will feel faster due to the instant torque. The all wheel drive also will be pretty nice off the line so this will definitely be decent from a stoplight.

It just needs another 100 horsepower and mid 11 second capability to justify its placement as a sports car. The tire specs also have me wondering about the cornering performance, they're skinny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd rather have a 3.0 liter turbo motor at 100 hp per liter.
    Yaaaaaaaaaawn - boring!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is going to be a hot car to be seen in. It looks like you are driving something from the future. I like that, I like it a lot.

For $135k it's perfectly reasonable IMO. Performance will likely be at the same level of an E92 M3 but it will feel faster due to the instant torque. The all wheel drive also will be pretty nice off the line so this will definitely be decent from a stoplight.

It just needs another 100 horsepower and mid 11 second capability to justify its placement as a sports car. The tire specs also have me wondering about the cornering performance, they're skinny.
    Buy one and mod it man!!!!!! I have no garage space or time so you have to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The way that is worded gave me pause as well. The 155 can be reached while operating solely with the gasoline engine but can it be reached with the electric/gasoline motor combo or does the electric motor only function due to the transmission on it up until a certain speed?

You'll be able to run E85 no matter what I would think.

I'm already thinking of what the tuning market for this would be like. I wonder if you can increase the voltage to the electric motor say to get it up to close to 200 horsepower at the expense of range. Then a tune/exhaust on the gasoline motor for say close to 50 hp. Now we're talking...
    There is ceiling left in this just like any other car. But you can bet the security and systems on this thing will be a bitch to work on ....but who knows. I know that Europe, in general, has been spending on R&D for these 3 cylinder turbos for almost a decade. These things should really be amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It looks like the car will be a write off if it gets into a fender bender with all that elaborate body work, yikes for insurance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I definitely do like it... but come on no three-cylinder junk.
    I know but it should have instant torque, and if we can turn up the boost, I'd be happy.
    you'll rarely see these for sure, and the styling alone would keep me hard for a long time.
    the passenger seat would be ruined after a month.
    Cobb tuned, spec2+, wavetrac, DCI, ARdp's, AA fmic, forge DV's, M3 links & Sways, bbs lm's, bunch of exterior mods, and one happy BMW driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you can turn the boost up or voltage up... then it's fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you can turn the boost up or voltage up... then it's fun.
    Click here to enlarge
    Cobb tuned, spec2+, wavetrac, DCI, ARdp's, AA fmic, forge DV's, M3 links & Sways, bbs lm's, bunch of exterior mods, and one happy BMW driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    It looks like the car will be a write off if it gets into a fender bender with all that elaborate body work, yikes for insurance.
    Actually it is quite the opposite - at least according to BMW. Supposedly the panels are suppose to be replaceable at a price comparable to a "normal" luxury car today. Now if you damage the CFRP frame/tub - yah that is going to hurt...but that is a pretty major collision and even a "traditional" steel chassis might not survive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12