19 57.58%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e46 M3 or 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

e46 M3 or 335i

Sup guys. I'm pretty much over my Cobalt SS. I'm doing the last few things I can to make it run right where it supposed to be. I just gave up hope, cause I know no matter what it will not work. I think I'm going to sell the car, I really have no other choice.

So my next question to you all is. E46 m3 or 335i.

Both cars would be under 80k miles and 6 speed manual. The 335 I prefer Sedan, I'm over coupes lol.
    Both cars will be modded heavily as my cobalt was. I will turbo the m3, or upgrade the 335i turbo to single or bigger twins...

I'm leaning toward the 335 because it's newer, and the power potential is much greater and cheaper compared to the e46. The reason I lean toward the e46 is the engine, and beautiful car itself.

Let me know what your vote is.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i love the e46 m3 and think about getting one all the time. Definitely a great all around car. Stock for stock (hell FBO to FBO) I'd pick the m3 every day of the week, even if it loses a step or two against the 335.

however, if you're just looking to make power and clean up on the streets. I would go 335. you can get them over 500whp for real cheap. Even when shooting for 650-700whp, it isn't all that expensive. With the m3, it'll take a pretty large chunk of change to hit those numbers.

also, if IIRC you're not too far from Terry are you? that could be a very valuable asset when going single or bigger twins with the 335.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Have been doing the same analysis.......
    Driving fresh air now

Recent Past
    2015 McLaren 650S
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree with chrisisnapping , while the e46 m3 looks amazing, and is overall a very nice car...its aging. I've looked briefly for them and its hard to find a good/clean used one. They are also expensive to make fast vs. the 335. One thing for you to consider is if you'll be doing any track days. The 335 will take a decent amount of money to make it handle better and even then the balance of the e46 m3 will be hard to beat. If your going to autocross or road race the car, get a e46 m3.

If this is strictly a street car, the newer 335 is what I would go with, plus this platform is still evolving... In the end it was hard for me to justify dropping $10-13k on a turbo kit for a 8-12 year old e46 m3. You'll need that to beat a hybrid turbo or single turbo 335.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For just a street car, the 335i would be the way to go. Although the s54+Max PSI kit is hard to say no to
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    E90 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not trying to be a search nazi but there are hundreds of these threads. Honestly just go drive both cause just reading a bunch of biased opinions won't help at all. I went with the m3 but the 335 is a good car too. Also the m3 will have more ///Maintenance...
    E46 323i-rip
    e46 325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert- sold
    e90 335i (n54)- current

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IF you can find a healthy, unmolested E46 M3 I'd say go for it. Personally I'd save for the Saad Racing kit, go completely Flex Fuel with E85 & never look back.

The N54/335 is a phenomenal motor, def a lot less expensive to modify since it's already turbo'd, but there are a few expensive headaches (HPFP & Injectors if you're out of warranty), but it'll take a healthy amount of money to get the suspension/chassis feel similar (Coilovers + LSD) and will never have the character of the E46 M3.

In the end, it'll probably take a similar amount of money to get them to be "equal" cars (as a complete package of power & driving feel), but IMO the E46 M3 will always excite you and never leave you feeling jealous when you see a 335 go by.
    2018 Mercedes-Benz E63 S AMG (W213)

Eurocharged Canada Stage 1 ECU, TCU and CPC Tune

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    however, if you're just looking to make power and clean up on the streets. I would go 335. you can get them over 500whp for real cheap. Even when shooting for 650-700whp, it isn't all that expensive. With the m3, it'll take a pretty large chunk of change to hit those numbers.

also, if IIRC you're not too far from Terry are you? that could be a very valuable asset when going single or bigger twins with the 335.
    Thing is, I'm kinda over making the crazy hp I was so much into. The cobalt killed my hopes and dreams. I love a 335 and I know if I get that. 600whp will be right around the corner... and yes so is @Terry@BMS. Click here to enlarge he's like 20 minutes from me with traffic haha. So it would be badass to be his little test dummy. Esp on a big single cause that's what I would do. He's already going to be testing on his 135 with the Vargas stg3.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I agree with chrisisnapping , while the e46 m3 looks amazing, and is overall a very nice car...its aging. I've looked briefly for them and its hard to find a good/clean used one. They are also expensive to make fast vs. the 335.
    Agree, it's hard to find a clean used one. That's the issue at hand as well vs the 335.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein Click here to enlarge
    For just a street car, the 335i would be the way to go. Although the s54+Max PSI kit is hard to say no to
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm looking at Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    I'm not trying to be a search nazi but there are hundreds of these threads. Honestly just go drive both cause just reading a bunch of biased opinions won't help at all. I went with the m3 but the 335 is a good car too. Also the m3 will have more ///Maintenance...
    Haha, no worries man. I just wanted to see what the smarter people have to say in this forum. Esp since you guys know me sorta lol. I would love me a turbo m3, but cost is not going to be that cheap.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also take it for what it's worth I LOVE my m3 and wouldn't trade it for anything (other than a z4m coupe) but if I had it to do again I would go 335 sedan
    E46 323i-rip
    e46 325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert- sold
    e90 335i (n54)- current

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by G0TB00ST? Click here to enlarge
    Also take it for what it's worth I LOVE my m3 and wouldn't trade it for anything (other than a z4m coupe) but if I had it to do again I would go 335 sedan
    Awww $#@!, that's gonna be hard to think about. Esp cause I know you have a boosted m3 and that's what I want..
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Awww $#@!, that's gonna be hard to think about. Esp cause I know you have a boosted m3 and that's what I want..
    actually I decided not to boost it. I came close to pulling the trigger a few times but I'm going to stay NA ( I hope to have a csl air box in th future lol) I'm very familiar with supercharged m3's though
    Last edited by G0TB00ST?; 09-16-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    E46 323i-rip
    e46 325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert- sold
    e90 335i (n54)- current

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You already know what I would say.... Click here to enlarge

I was fighting between both cars for a LONG time. Ultimately the E46 had my heart
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Why in the world anyone would suggest a 335i over an E46 M3 is quite simply mind boggling.

The E46 M3 is just better, flat out better. Better motor, better handling, better feel, and one of the best BMW's ever created. The 335i feels disconnected and sloppy in comparison to the E46 M3.

Plus, E46 M3 and Max PSI turbo kit on stock internals and you're mopping up every 335i that even stupidly decides to step up.

The E46 styling is also flat out classic and has held up to the test of time.

I've had one, what do I know.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why in the world anyone would suggest a 335i over an E46 M3 is quite simply mind boggling.

The E46 M3 is just better, flat out better. Better motor, better handling, better feel, and one of the best BMW's ever created. The 335i feels disconnected and sloppy in comparison to the E46 M3.

Plus, E46 M3 and Max PSI turbo kit on stock internals and you're mopping up every 335i that even stupidly decides to step up.

I agree. I think its the best M3 ever. As far as looks....it doesn't age. I get wood everytime I see one driving.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

This is what keeps me coming back to the m3. I just dont know for now. I just have to get rid of the cobalt before anything. I need to detail the bitch and take some crazy ass photos to make the bitch sell. It's not going to be easy cause I'm losing so much $#@!ing money. God damn so much.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    This is what keeps me coming back to the m3. I just dont know for now. I just have to get rid of the cobalt before anything. I need to detail the $#@! and take some crazy ass photos to make the $#@! sell. It's not going to be easy cause I'm losing so much $#@!ing money. God damn so much.
    Drive them.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Take into account the 335i will need a lot of suspension work as well.

E46 M3 is an older car, but it is aging much better. E90's look old to me know, especially pre-lci. Actually when it comes to an N54 powered car, I prefer the the 135i now (lighter, more tossable, better brakes).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Take into account the 335i will need a lot of suspension work as well.

E46 M3 is an older car, but it is aging much better. E90's look old to me know, especially pre-lci. Actually when it comes to an N54 powered car, I prefer the the 135i now (lighter, more tossable, better brakes).
    Yea, I'm looking for all those cars right now. Any of 1 or 3 series with an n54 or the e46 m3. I can't find many with low miles in good condition. It's hard..
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    E46 M3 is an older car, but it is aging much better. E90's look old to me know, especially pre-lci.
    Strongly agree.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Found a 07 e90 black on black 60k miles wants 18k for it... I need to get rid of my car and get that $#@! ASAP. I can't find an m3 that has less than 80k miles.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Tried finding an e46 6mt and in good condition for months. Hopless.. Ended up with an 07 e90 335i with 54k in great condition with a warranty. Tuned a week after I got it and drove the $#@! out of it for the last 2 years. I probably wouldn't still have it if it wasn't for the warranty, 6-7k in repairs over 2 years. (valve stem seals being the worst at 4k!!) My buddy has got an e46 6mt, I love the way it handles but feels gutless after driving my car. Also the interior on e46s imo are not as well made/wear quicker.

Either way both are good choices but I'm glad I ended up with my n54.
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikolo-n54 Click here to enlarge
    Tried finding an e46 6mt and in good condition for months. Hopless.. Ended up with an 07 e90 335i with 54k in great condition with a warranty. Tuned a week after I got it and drove the $#@! out of it for the last 2 years. I probably wouldn't still have it if it wasn't for the warranty, 6-7k in repairs over 2 years. (valve stem seals being the worst at 4k!!) My buddy has got an e46 6mt, I love the way it handles but feels gutless after driving my car. Also the interior on e46s imo are not as well made/wear quicker.

Either way both are good choices but I'm glad I ended up with my n54.
    Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. Esp since you're a local too so you know what I'm talking about. It's so damn hard to find an m3 now.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

fanboi

2016 340xi AT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast