Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

EVO's best ever? 'Analog supercar' comparison of the Ferrari F40, F50, McLaren F1, Carrera GT, Noble M600, Zonda F, and Murcielago LP-670 SV

Kind of amusing the term analog is being used in a car comparison but it shows just how automated, digital, and computerized cars have become almost to the point of being robotic (insert Nissan GT-R joke here). This is a comparison that should make any automotive enthusiast jealous. Seven of the greatest drivers cars ever made. No dual clutch nonsense, no ridiculous stability control programs doing all the driving for you, these are some of the purest examples of street legal automotive bliss in the known universe.

Click here to enlarge

EVO calls this their best comparison ever and from an EVO employees perspective I would not disagree. Imagine coming in to work to be told you would be driving a Ferrari F40, Ferrari F50, McLaren F1, Porsche Carrera GT, Noble M600, Pagani Zonda F, and a Lamborghini Murcielago LP-670 SV. You wouldn't want to leave.

The Murcielago is the only car in the comparison with a paddle shifted gearbox and in my opinion it does not belong. All wheel drive and paddle shifters do not make one recall a great drivers car. The great examples of a pure experience are the F40, F50, Carrera GT, McLaren F1, and the Pagani Zonda F. All rear wheel drive hairy chested beasts you have to tame. Any car my mother can drive is not analog.

Yes, I left out the M600 as it does not fit quite well. It is more modern than all the other cars save the Murcielago. The reviewer says it lacks the star quality of the rest of the group and I agree. Does that mean I would kick it out my garage? No way.

This is an epic collection of cars and a great comparison to see but would some data kill them? You get all these rare supercars together and it just BEGS for a performance comparison. Take them around a track and really drive them, that is what they were made for. There should be more impressions from more drivers and a bit more depth. The corresponding magazine article hopefully delivers this but the video does not do these cars justice. As the reviewer states, it is self-serving. I won't blame him for it though.

Watch the video below if you love cars. If you don't, why are you here?

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I disatree about the LP670. It is not an easy car to drive, and they were available with a manual transmission. In fact, theres two in the US I believe. From everything I've read, it is definitely an old-school, big, bad supercar. I would love to have one someday.

A better video would have been nice, but just to see these cars all together is almost surreal. It's very moving. All of these machines are wonderful, and we will likely never see anything like them ever again. I have to say, I love how you can tell right off that the S70 in the F1 is a BMW engine through and through. In fact, it sounds very much like the M88 in the M1 procars, and it certainly sounds just like two M30-based sixes joined together. I love it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    I disatree about the LP670. It is not an easy car to drive, and they were available with a manual transmission. In fact, theres two in the US I believe. From everything I've read, it is definitely an old-school, big, bad supercar. I would love to have one someday.

A better video would have been nice, but just to see these cars all together is almost surreal. It's very moving. All of these machines are wonderful, and we will likely never see anything like them ever again. I have to say, I love how you can tell right off that the S70 in the F1 is a BMW engine through and through. In fact, it sounds very much like the M88 in the M1 procars, and it certainly sounds just like two M30-based sixes joined together. I love it.
    The LP-670 is the easiest to drive out of the bunch. Once again, if my mother can shift the gears I don't consider it analog. Paddle shifters versus traditional manual show the difference between the raw and connected cars in this comparison. A Carrera GT is a whole different level compared to the LP-670.

Regarding the motor, it isn't not two inline-6's joined together but I don't think that is what you were saying anyway. Some people think it is...
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha no it is not. You know what I mean.

I've read that the SV is much more intense than the LP640, but both will bite your head off if you screw up. But yeah a CGT is a more pure driver's car. A lot of times, I think that if I could have one car for the rest of my life, that would be it. The sound alone is...not like anything else in this world.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    Haha no it is not. You know what I mean.

I've read that the SV is much more intense than the LP640, but both will bite your head off if you screw up. But yeah a CGT is a more pure driver's car. A lot of times, I think that if I could have one car for the rest of my life, that would be it. The sound alone is...not like anything else in this world.
    I have no doubt the SV is more intense than the LP640 but neither is as intense as a Carrera GT, F50, F40, Zonda F, etc.

If I could have one car out of all of these... tough one. Would probably go with the Carrera GT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great video, but kinda sad, too. The Driver's Car is definitely a dying breed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 Click here to enlarge
    Great video, but kinda sad, too. The Driver's Car is definitely a dying breed.
    Somewhat.

It's dying within BMW but look at how much better AMG's and Audi's have gotten as driver's cars.