Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thinking About My Next Car

So I was doing some thinking about my next car. I am somewhat fixated on LSx swap. The reason is flexibility, parts source, durability, and power potential. Before this I was set on BMW FI I6, specifically E36 M3 but flexible for non-M3s due to pricing. The main negative for me with BMW is the tuning… I would like to have control and unless you go standalone you are putting your faith into basically 1 source for tuning I understand.
    So I am considering the below platforms and any insight, thoughts would be great. I am 6’6”, 200lbs so headroom is very important. But I think most below can fit with aftermarket seat, rail and potentially sunroof delete.

Car will be used for street/track. I do plan to keep some comforts depending on year and condition of car, but will also consider mostly track with bareish interior.

All are LSx Swaps
    -BMW e36/e46: I think the e36 swap is fairly straight forward, and e46 maybe pretty tough now.
    -Nissan 240: This is relatively simple swap with many resources. Light platform and good balance with LSx, so great track car. But lacking in comfort.
    -Mazda RX7: this has always been a dream car for me, but I’m sure the headroom is a problem. I’ve sat in a FC before and I don’t see it working, but never in a FD… the interior layout, seating position in the FD looks great.
    -Mazda RX8: the swap could be a little more involved than the other options.
    -Nissan 350Z: For comfort this would be a great platform, but a little heavy.

-C5/C6 Vette: Looking into above, why not a vette. I don’t know really except I wouldn't want to drive one at 40yrs old. Plus I kinda want a project, so putting $$ into a newer vette will devalue it relative to the money spent… older car you retain higher percentage of the total spent.

-C4 Vette: this would be a fun project and haven’t thought much about it. Headroom is an issue and pedal, tunnel arrangement prob isn’t the best for a tall racer.

-GTO/F-body: initially this was my focus, but now I have strayed from it, but can't give good reason why. GTOs prob a little pricey for what you get due to being rare. But if I find a good f-body (gen 4,5) why not. hmmm, have to think about this some more... should be best on $$ and options. Gen 3 formula 350 was a dream car when I was young... I bet ones worth a project are very rare.

Just putting some of my thoughts on screen. What else should I consider?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From that list C6 Vette or GTO.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    rx7

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get a vette bro, I'm getting one next. C6 z06 or a c7. Already made up my mind. Just can't beat American brute power specially if u want to stay N/A. I want straight N/A next, I'm sick of these turbos and all it's associated issues, at least the n54 ($#@! unreliable engine), and crazy maintenance to keep it running healthy (carbon buildup). An LSx will last you forever with cheap maintenance, and tons of support and options.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Get a vette bro, I'm getting one next. C6 z06 or a c7. Already made up my mind. Just can't beat American brute power specially if u want to stay N/A. I want straight N/A next, I'm sick of these turbos and all it's associated issues, at least the n54 ($#@! unreliable engine), and crazy maintenance to keep it running healthy (carbon buildup). An LSx will last you forever with cheap maintenance, and tons of support and options.
    yeah, definitely leaning toward LSx... just want to put it into something other than vette. It would be nice having something where most of the value is in the suspension and drivetrain. I want to rag the $#@! out of my next car... track, drag, drift. In my old age street racing is a little worrysome. Every time I drive my n54 I hit 130ish and accelerate hard... want to do it on the track instead and doesn't make sense with a newer car.

I really don't like the transaxle of the c5/c6... it looks easier to pull/replace engine/tranny of any LSx swap car then to replace the clutch on these vettes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think you should just buy a dedicated track car and keep your daily.

A properly set up C5/C6 Corvette is nearly unbeatable on the track, no project required.

I would go with a 240. Pick em up cheap and there are drop in kits for sale. You can make them look bad ass and there is a huge aftermarket in suspensions. I have a thing for them though.

from a quick google search: "1993-95 Mazda RX-7 pulled .99-1.01g's on the skidpad from the factory on 225/45/16 All season radials. With an LS1/T56 conversion they still weigh 2800lb or less with a/c and p/s. You can fit a 285/30/18 at all corners under stock body panels. Mine pulled 1.13g's with an LS setup running those size STREET tires.

The car absolutely destroys just about ANY street car on the road course with basic coilovers, big brake kit, LS1/T56 combo.

Mine had a 49/51% front/rear weight distribution as well. My race car weighs 2400lbs with no fuel..... so you can get them VERY light."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree with the 240, when searching online I keep going back to it... price, shell availability, weight, aftermarket, headroom all fit well. Although the e36 conversion looks fairly straight forward also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would suggest going with the 280z instead of the 240. They are not as rare as the 240z and of course a "newer" chassis is always better for any project. Probably a better chance of finding one with less rust or no rust compared to a 240. They look nearly the same, and you can make any 280 look just like a 240 if that's what you're going for. Also from looking around at prices you can pretty much get 2 rust free 280z's for the price of 1 rust free 240z.

One of the things I always wanted to do is a 280z with a RB26DETT since the prices on these engines have dropped insanely low. But if you're looking to track it the LSx will be the choice since it's much lighter and will give you better balance.

GOOD LUCK!! These cars are so hot when done right:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    I would suggest going with the 280z instead of the 240. They are not as rare as the 240z and of course a "newer" chassis is always better for any project. Probably a better chance of finding one with less rust or no rust compared to a 240. They look nearly the same, and you can make any 280 look just like a 240 if that's what you're going for. Also from looking around at prices you can pretty much get 2 rust free 280z's for the price of 1 rust free 240z.

One of the things I always wanted to do is a 280z with a RB26DETT since the prices on these engines have dropped insanely low. But if you're looking to track it the LSx will be the choice since it's much lighter and will give you better balance.

GOOD LUCK!! These cars are so hot when done right:

Click here to enlarge
    That's a good looking Z...
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^Woah! I really dig that car!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    EVO? LOL i know where you can find one cheap right now
    2016 340xi AT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice Z, but I think its a 240 which I like better modded than 280. I was referring to the 240SX though, which was discontinued in US around 97.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    nice Z, but I think its a 240 which I like better modded than 280. I was referring to the 240SX though, which was discontinued in US around 97.
    I'm very familiar with the 240sx. This was mine:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^^Good looking, how did you like it? What do you drive now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    This is the $#@!ing best post on this forum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks buddy Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    ^^Good looking, how did you like it? What do you drive now?
    I dumped a lot of money into that car, but it did teach me something. Instead of buying a slow car and making it faster, it does make sense to just buy a fast car to begin with and make that much much faster in the end. I was in my early 20's when I had the car so it was ok, but it wasn't going to win every race even with that turbo on it, needed a lot more work before I gave up on it.

What I drive now is what's in my signature, if you can't see that it's a 08 335i.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Come join the dark side, get a vette. I want a z06.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Don't know if I could purchase car with a built engine, but this seems like a great deal.
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3885538749.html

Starting to lean more toward higher mileage c5 now that's maybe a little ragged out. Install race seat, half cage, suspension/brake mods and start beating the $#@! out of it and decide next mods from there. Looks like I'm stuck with the n54 though until I get off my ass and part out... hell maybe we'll track it this fall.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

what about an S2000?
    2008 E92 335i- HP: 423 TRQ: 453 - Sold
    Vishnu- Pocede
    Active Autowerke - Intercooler
    Active Autowerke - Charge pipe/BOV
    Active Autowerke - 3" Downpipes
    Active Autowerke - Signature Exhaust
    BMS -DCI

2014 F30 335i M Sport
    BMS- JB4 (EWG/E85/OBDII Canbus)
    BMS- Intake

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crazylegs Click here to enlarge
    what about an S2000?
    That would be more project car than DD to me. I love them so much...
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    That would be more project car than DD to me. I love them so much...
    I'm really starting to like the S2000 a lot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    I'm very familiar with the 240sx. This was mine:
    Those wheels are BEGGING for lower offset.
    2015 F10 M5 \ Alpinweiss

Click here to enlarge