Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Volkswagen MKVII GTI compared to the Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG and BMW M135i - Simply overmatched

Yes, this is a hot hatch comparison but the GTI is at a severe disadvantage. Why even bother? Obviously the Golf to use against these two will be the upcoming Golf R that will have all wheel drive and close to 300 horsepower. With the A45 AMG packing 355 horses from its turbocharged M133 and the F20 M135i with 320 horsepower from its N55 turbocharged inline-6 the MKVII GTI is simply outgunned with only 217 horses routed to the front wheels.

Click here to enlarge

The A45 AMG simply pulls so far away it can't be seen when compared to the GTI in the canyons. Combine that with the sharper handling of the A45 AMG along with its all wheel drive and the GTI has no chance. These cars just are not in the same class it's rather pointless to have the GTI get beat up.

Bring on the Golf R and let's revisit this in the future as this isn't much of a comparison right now. It would at least have been nice to see more of the M135i and A45 AMG go at it as they are in a similar performance class. A laptime comparison maybe? A side by side straightline comparison would have been nice as well (although the A45 AMG is shown pulling away in the canyon) but since this is Autocar it's their typical vanilla comparison with no real data. The A45 AMG seems to be the best handling and fastest of his bunch though, decisively. This bodes well for the CLA45 AMG.

Video below.

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Probably something to put down VAG for now. They'll make something in another video lol.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Probably something to put down VAG for now. They'll make something in another video lol.
    A47 AMG - base price £37,845 ($58,020.17)
    M135 - base price of about £29,995 ($45,985.33)
    Mk7 GTI - (estimated by motortrend) base price -- $25,000

The new MK7 has a lot of nice features, much better than the mk6 performance wise, and it's going to take any comparison in it's segment, but comparing it to cars that cost 20-33k more? seriously? Hey, let's compare an e92 M3 to a new 128 because they are both coupes with RWD...

I mean i guess you can think of it this way: pending how the engine handles power and the fueling. You can drive your GTI off the lot, bring down to Alabama to the good folks at APR, have it roll out pushing 500+WHP (while feeling basically like OEM), then pick up a brand new ford fiesta as a beater and still probably come out less than the cost of the benz. I mean sure you won't have all the creature comforts, and given $60k and the choice between these 3 cars I'd probably take the AMG.

But you're right Sticky, seeing the R in this comparison would be better. I mean it's one thing to compare cars that differ so much in pricing, but it's another when you're comparing "motorsport" lines to base models.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    But you're right Sticky, seeing the R in this comparison would be better. I mean it's one thing to compare cars that differ so much in pricing, but it's another when you're comparing "motorsport" lines to base models.
    Exactly.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    also, reminds me of the comparison test C&D did for "best handling cars in USA under 100K"
    1. '11 boxster spyder
    2. '10 lotus elise SC
    3. '10 mazda rx-8 R3
    4. '11 m3
    5. '11 GT-R
    6. '11 z06
    7. '11 GTI

I mean look at that list, aside from the R3 all those cars are at least double the cost of the GTI and even the R3 has about $7k on the base GTI.

I love my GTI, but it's a wrong wheel drive under powered 4cyl car. sure it's fun and there are few cars in the 20-30k range that will give you comparable performance, reliability, quality, ability to seat 4 adults and 1 child and luxury in one package, but it's no "performance car"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    A47 AMG - base price £37,845 ($58,020.17)
    M135 - base price of about £29,995 ($45,985.33)
    Mk7 GTI - (estimated by motortrend) base price -- $25,000
    It should be noted that you can't compare a US price in dollars to a UK price in dollars. According to Autocar earlier this year, the GTI base price is about £25,800 ($39,554), or £26,800 ($41,087) with the performance pack. Still the cheapest of the three, but not by as much as you suggest.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AMG vs Non M car Vs non R golf...Seems fair to me.
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrew20195 Click here to enlarge
    It should be noted that you can't compare a US price in dollars to a UK price in dollars. According to Autocar earlier this year, the GTI base price is about £25,800 ($39,554), or £26,800 ($41,087) with the performance pack. Still the cheapest of the three, but not by as much as you suggest.
    you're absolutely right. my bad.