Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Big brother vs. little brother, M157 vs M133, Eight Cylinder vs Four Cylinder - Drag race between a C218 CLS63 AMG wagon and the new W176 A45 AMG

We will not be getting the A45 AMG in the USA or the CLS63 AMG wagon so this drag race will not be taking place in North America. However, we will get the CLA45 AMG sporting the same 360 horsepower M133 four-cylinder motor mated to a seven speed dual clutch transmission with all wheel drive and we already have the standard CLS63 AMG. So, what we have here is a drag race preview between the AMG little brother versus the big brother CLS63 AMG sporting a 5.5 liter bi-turbo M157 V8 everyone should be familiar with. So who wins?

The A45 AMG is lighter, has all wheel drive, and a dual clutch transmission. But, it is down on power by about 158 horses. Both cars have launch control featuring automatic shifting. On paper, the power and torque disparity is one sided.

Naturally due to all wheel drive the A45 gets a slight jump off the line. Once the CLS63 AMG starts to pull it appears to be game over. Somehow, the A45 AMG pulls back. The result is not expected and the new 45 AMG models certainly are quite potent. Yes, the facelifted CLS63 AMG with more power and all wheel drive will smack this car around but if one has a stock 518 horsepower E63 AMG or CLS63 AMG they better get a tune or these entry level cars may catch them with their pants down at a stoplight. Very, very impressive.

Click here to enlarge

BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Nothing sweeter than a little engine beating up on a bigger one Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Amazing. I wonder if the extra weight on the CLA will bring major downsides in performance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bogdan_mb Click here to enlarge
    Amazing. I wonder if the extra weight on the CLA will bring major downsides in performance.
    Does the CLA really have much more weight? Should be about the same.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not that much , comparing same engine variants on both classes the weight difference between them is around 30 kg ~ 70 pounds in favour of the A class . They haven't listed the actual weight of the CLA 45 AMG , while we have 1.555 kg for the A45. I suspect somewhere slight under 1.600 kg / 3.500 pounds for the CLA 45 which should go on the rear axle. Well , we just have to wait and see then, but sounds like a great car if it does 12.4 on the 1/4 mile out of the box.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not that much , comparing same engine variants on both classes the weight difference between them is around 30 kg ~ 70 pounds in favour of the A class . They haven't listed the actual weight of the CLA 45 AMG , while we have 1.555 kg for the A45. I suspect somewhere slight under 1.600 kg / 3.500 pounds for the CLA 45 which should go on the rear axle. Well , we just have to wait and see then, but sounds like a great car if it does 12.4 on the 1/4 mile out of the box.
    Mid 12's for that power would be incredible. These are impressive little cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hope I didn't jinxed it but here are some actual facts that confirms my theory :

But at the end of the day I think I could be a happy owner of this baby AMG even if it comes with a hefty price.
    - 09 - SLK 350 - AMG PKG -