Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Starbrite StarTron - Ethanol Fuel Treatment

Stopped by the local Motorcycle/ATV/Powersports shop near me to shop for some gas cans to store E85 in my garage. When I mentioned that I occasionally run E85 to one of the shop staff, he asked if I had ever heard of Starbrite StarTron and showed me a brochure.
    Problem 3: ETHANOL Fuels Break Down Quickly
    Over a short period of time ethanol fuel begins to break down. As ethanol and other components evaporate, the fuel loses octane and becomes “stale.” This causes hard starts, pinging and engine knock, which robs your engine of power and can cause damage.
    Star Tron® Solution: Star Tron® is a powerful fuel stabilizer which helps prevent fuel breakdown for up to two years. This results in easier starts and prevents pinging and knocking. Star Tron® improves octane levels of sub standard, non-spec or old fuel and in many cases can rejuvenate stale fuel, restoring it to serviceable condition.

Be careful of what additive you use – many contain alcohol. Adding more alcohol to ethanol fuels can lead to engine problems. Read the MSDS of any fuel additive before using it with ethanol fuel. Star Tron® does not contain any alcohol and is 100% safe for use in all ethanol blends. Star Tron® is easy to use, effective and cannot be overdosed.

Here's the link for the Material Safety Data Sheet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I'm hoping is that one of the tuners (preferably those familiar with the N54/N55) or knowledgeable forum members who understand E85 and if this product is worth it or can offer any benefit. I am fully aware the N54/N55 is a DI motor and do not expect this to magically clean the intake valves, but I am interested if this product can actually prevent water absorption (whether the gas is in the car or being stored) & keep the injectors from getting "gummed" up.

@dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks
    @jhershorin
    @Terry@BMS
    @undercover / @undercoverangie (Garth)
    @shiv@vishnu
    2018 Mercedes-Benz E63 S AMG (W213)

Eurocharged Canada Stage 1 ECU, TCU and CPC Tune

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How short is a short period of time? First I'm hearing of this.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How short is a short period of time? First I'm hearing of this.
    If it sits stagnant (like in a gas can or a car that hasn't been turned on), I think 1 month is when you need to start being concerned. This product was also designed for ATVs, Motorcycles + Boats, which are a little more susceptible to sitting stagnant with ethanol in the tank.
    2018 Mercedes-Benz E63 S AMG (W213)

Eurocharged Canada Stage 1 ECU, TCU and CPC Tune

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've used E85 that has been 3-4 months old sitting in my car with no ill effects. I even pulled my injectors to see if it did anything to them for sitting that long. Nope!
    Another fuel stabilizer to look at is Lucas e85 fuel stabilizer. I've used it throughout my E85 journey (although I haven't really found a "off the shelf" product other than Lucas specifically for E85) and have had good success with it.

what success I don't know though lol. I figure some type of stabilizer is better than nothing, but on the other hand I haven't had straight E85 and just let it sit around and see what It does in my car .....
    i think more people need to chime in to get real feedback.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    If it sits stagnant (like in a gas can or a car that hasn't been turned on), I think 1 month is when you need to start being concerned. This product was also designed for ATVs, Motorcycles + Boats, which are a little more susceptible to sitting stagnant with ethanol in the tank.
    I think it has a lot to do with moisture absorption over time as well. I know there is a lot of anicdotal evidence online of people with boat engines having problem with ethanol containing fuels.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh, in a boat for sure. Cars? They aren't floating in water. Most of the times lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I think it has a lot to do with moisture absorption over time as well. I know there is a lot of anicdotal evidence online of people with boat engines having problem with ethanol containing fuels.

Now you changed your avatar again asj;dlfkjasl;fjkal;skdfjl;
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped