Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Future of Fisker Karma = Motor Swaps

Fisker Automotive has turned out to be an absolute disaster, only adding insult to injury is that the US Govt. invested over $500 million in the company in 2009. Personally, I find the Karma a very attractive car
    Click here to enlarge

BUT it doesn't appear that there's going to much of a future for Fisker & the hybrid technology in today's world. Solution: Motor Swap. An article as posted today that highlighted that Fisker Karma's are now selling for about 50% of their original MSRP, and continuing to fall.

Since I actually like the car, I looked around on Google & found that a motor swap has already been done. VLP Destino has actually transplanted the Corvette ZR1s into the Karma and managed to shed 1,000 lbs from the curb weight (most likely from ditching the battery cells). My only complaint, VLP is charging $200k+ for this conversion Click here to enlarge ($50k Car + $20k ZR1 Crate Motor + $130k Conversion?).

I was hoping that some of the BB sponsors could chime in & comment on how much a "1 Off" motor swap could run (@undercoverangie , @undercover , @Mike@VAC , @Weistec , @Andrew@activeautowerke , @AR Design II ) and see if VLP's $130k add on is justified.
    2018 Mercedes-Benz E63 S AMG (W213)

Eurocharged Canada Stage 1 ECU, TCU and CPC Tune

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Welcome to 9 months ago. And yes, good luck trying to do a one off in a plug in hybrid for significantly less than that. Might as well pay the money and call it a day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is a ton of work. I would think the weight bias would be totally fed up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh yeah, and that pricing was from when Karmas cost significantly more. So no, they aren't charging 130k, more like 80k. And yeah, really good luck making that happen. And you'd still have a car with $#@! interior materials, a backseat smaller than a Honda Fit, and a trunk smaller than a Cayman.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Epic failure. Although I see them all the time since their headquarters are right be me. Was kind of amusing to see a Tesla Model S and a Karma at a light. Winner and loser right next to each other.

The thing is too heavy, removing the electronics is a mess, it's just a cluster$#@!.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Might be easier just to find a chassis that the Fisker body will fit on.
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My motor can make plenty power. Just get a bigger turbo, that's all. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bob Lutz and company have a great plan and they have access to a good number of rolling chassis from Fisker in addition to the conversions from a actual owners. Its a niche market, there is talk of actually continuing the assembly of the car in order to keep it viable for the long term. Its a great idea and for those cars they would be in effect entirely new cars if converted and the new cars wouldnt be called Fisker's if I am correct.
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $30k in labor
    Click here to enlarge