Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 wins the Nurburgring 24 hours - Takes first, third, and fourth place

Very strong showing from the SLS GT3 at the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring. You likely already know what a grueling course the ring is and a 24 Hour endurance race on the famous circuit is no joke. The winning Black Falcon SLS GT3 started in sixth and worked its way up to first finishing two minutes and thirty nine seconds ahead of the second place car. Rowe Racing took third and fourth place with their SLS GT3's.

The race was red flagged for 9 hours due to rain. A total of 7 SLS GT3's were entered. The Nurburgring 24 Hours is mostly aimed at amateurs who purchase factory race cars. Some of the drivers are professionals. Would be a lot of fun to buy an SLS GT3 and race in something like this.

Congratulations to Mercedes and Team Black Falcon. Results below:

Click here to enlarge

2013 Nurburgring 24 Hours selected class winners

SP9 – #9 Black Falcon Mercedes – Bleekemolen/Edwards/Schneider/Thiim
    SP7 – #18 Manthey Racing Porsche – Bernhard/Dumas/Lieb/Luhr (7th overall)
    SP8 – #81 Corvette – Guttroff/Kiesch/Klasen/Strycek (21st overall)
    SP4T – #105 Besaplast Racing Audi – Kovac/Lestrup/Thiim/Tshornia (23rd overall)
    SP3T – #111 Raeder Motorsport Audi – Breuer/Deegener/Schmidtmann/Wohlfarht (25th overall)
    SP10 – #56 Bonk Motorsport BMW – Akata/Mies/Uebler/’Wolf Silverster’ (28th overall)
    SP2T – #216 Peugeot Automobiles Peugeot – Frankenhout/Niederhauser/Radermecker/Ricci (32nd overall)

Alexander Böhm, Black Falcon General Manager: “The ultra-reliable SLS AMG GT3 was once again the cornerstone for this historic victory. All the drivers did a great job – we were really fast, especially in the wet. A big thank you to all team members!”

Hans-Peter Naundorf, ROWE RACING Team Manager: “I am extremely pleased with securing P3 and P4 with #22 and #23, especially as we were forced to retire last year while in the lead. My thanks go to all drivers and team members. Congratulations to the winning team, Black Falcon.”

Uli Fritz, Head of AMG Customer Sports: “We were not among the favourites to win, as we are not a works team but simply a customer outfit. We are very excited about this historic success. So far in 2013, we have won every major endurance race with the SLS AMG GT3 – in January, the Dubai (UAE) 24-hour race, in February, the Bathurst 12-Hours (Australia) and now the legendary 24- hour race here at the Nürburgring. My congratulations go to all AMG customer teams, and many thanks to tyre partner Dunlop for the excellent manner in which they have supported our team.”

Ola Kaellenius, CEO of Mercedes-AMG GmbH: “A great success for our customer teams Black Falcon and ROWE RACING. I am very pleased that we have succeeded at only the third attempt in taking the top spot in the SLS AMG GT3. This victory is the best confirmation of our customer sports programme.”

Toto Wolff, Head of Motorsport at Mercedes-Benz: “This victory in the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring is the just reward for the loyalty of our customer teams. Mercedes-Benz has a magnificent tradition in endurance racing that stretches back as far as the 1950s. The Nürburgring has always had a great importance and symbolic meaning for Mercedes-Benz, because this is where the legend of the Silver Arrow was born, so it is all the more gratifying to witness the success here today of the AMG customer teams. The Mercedes-Benz name stands for performance, quality and reliability – which are the perfect prerequisites for winning such a tough race on the most demanding racetrack in the world. I extend my congratulations to our customer teams, Black Falcon and ROWE RACING. Credit is also due to Mercedes-AMG for their outstanding support without which this success could not have been achieved.”

Bernd Schneider, Black Falcon, # 9: “Our car was super to drive, especially in the wet, and even while the surface was drying out, we were always up with the leading group. I’ve attempted the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring on several previous occasions, but this is the first time I’ve ever crossed the finish line. My congratulations and thanks go to the whole team. The guys at Black Falcon did a great job.”

Thomas Jäger, ROWE RACING, # 22: “Once again, we have seen what a fabulous car the SLS AMG GT3 is to drive, even under these very difficult conditions here at the Nürburgring. Our third and fourth place finishes represent a great team result for ROWE RACING, and obviously I’m delighted for the guys at Black Falcon on their historic victory.”

Lance David Arnold, ROWE RACING, # 23: “I’m very pleased that I was able to finish fourth on my very first outing for the AMG customer team ROWE RACING. This was very tough race, not least because of the heavy rain and the constantly changing conditions. I’d like to express my gratitude and congratulations to the whole team.”
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Amazing race!! The Nürburgring displayed its magic again. Hopefully not for the last time as the Ring is currently for sale.

The race is not only about the "big" manufacturer teams with the GT3 cars but also about the countless private teams which abord this adventurous journey with cars prepped with blood, sweat and tears.

I was also stunned by the sheer size difference betwwen cars like the Z4 GT3 and "normal" cars like an E46!
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    but also about the countless private teams which abord this adventurous journey with cars prepped with blood, sweat and tears.
    Exactly.

I'd love to buy one of the GT3 cars, grab some friends, and go race. How freaking cool would that be?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped