Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Last place for BMW again? Cabrio F12 M6 no fun to drive? 991 Carrera S, Mercedes SL63 AMG, and the Jaguar XKR-S all finish ahead in Car and Driver comparison

This is starting to get sad especially considering the M6 is the highest performance car BMW has right now. Car and Driver decided to do a comparison between the new F12 M6, Porsche 991 Carrera S, Mercedes-Benz SL63 AMG, and the Jaguar XKR-S. All of which finished ahead of the BMW M6 which came in last place a position BMW is getting accustomed to being in as of late in automotive magazine comparison tests.

Click here to enlarge

The M6 has impressed with its acceleration as of late but acceleration is only one part of the story. The numbers Car and Driver gets for the M6 are pretty much inline with the numbers achieved for the F10 M5 which makes sense when one considers the difference we have witnessed of the M6 coupe and M5 going head to head and the added weight for the convertible model. 12.2@119 in the 1/4 mile? Sounds about right.

The fastest car of the bunch ended up being the SL63 AMG with a blistering 11.8@124 1/4 mile sprint, wow. The fattest car of the bunch ended up being the M6 with a curb weight of 4496 pounds. Wow is it a fatty. The SL63 AMG even with its folding hardtop undercuts the M6 by 368 pounds. Once again, that is with a folding hardtop people. The Benz also gets closer to 50/50 weight distribution than BMW with 50.9/49.1 versus 51.2/48.8. And what about when the weight of the Carrera S is factored in versus the M6? How about a whopping 1069 less pounds to move around.

Ok, what about handling? Every single car went through the slalom faster than the M6. The M6 achieved 42.0 mph while the Jaguar hit 42.1, the Benz 43.6, and the Porsche 47.3. How the mighty have fallen, Jaguar is beating up on BMW too?

The problem here is the BMW is no longer the most exciting to drive. BMW never was the fastest, or offering the best skidpad numbers, but the most fun. Everything just came together perfectly for an amazing all around driving experience. The M6 scores last in the fun to drive and steering feedback factors compared to the other cars by an eye-openingly wide margin. This just isn't the same BMW people and don't just take my word for it:

"Even with all its many driver-adjustable settings for steering effort, throttle response, and suspension stiffness, it’s impossible to make the M6 fully at home on winding roads. The steering is duller than the others, and the body wallows and leans more as the mass pushes the suspension around. An overriding sense of isolation meant the clearest feedback we got came from our drivers, complaining that they felt less confident driving hard into corners, unsure if the grip would hold.

There’s an artificiality to the M6, from its soft-then-hard brake pedal to the way the engine sounds more like interstellar gas eruptions than internal combustion. We know BMW plays engine sounds through the audio system’s speakers, and the M6 is the only car here in which the engine note gets quieter and more distant with the top down. Hmph!

The M6 is not horrible, but it’s not really an M, either. It’s too girthy, too soft, and too ersatz. If only it were as good at generating emotion as it is at generating test numbers. BMW needs a separate badge for these ultrafast luxury barges, the M5 and M6, to separate them from the M3. Until then, we’ll just rate it a “U” for uninspiring."

Results below.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This says it all:

BMW needs a separate badge for these ultrafast luxury barges, the M5 and M6, to separate them from the M3. Until then, we’ll just rate it a “U” for uninspiring."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    This says it all:
    It has just become sad.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    maybe bmw was late on their payment to car an driver
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TRES Click here to enlarge
    maybe bmw was late on their payment to car an driver
    They must have been late paying all other mags too. This isn't the first comparo as of late they have lost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a sad time for BMW from our view point. BMW is still raking in plenty of revenue and probably could car less about these reviews I would assume.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hope BMW HQ realizes that things are taking a wrong turn before it's too late. A lot of pressure lies already on the next gen M3/M4 which needs a VERY good and balanced chassis to make up for its underwhelming engine whose low 400 hp numbers won't cause headaches at the competition.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast Click here to enlarge
    This is a sad time for BMW from our view point. BMW is still raking in plenty of revenue and probably could car less about these reviews I would assume.
    That's the thing though they only care about money now. It's such a sad fall and the more I think about it the angrier I get.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what a shame.... i hope the M3/M2 will do better. But they will be turbocharged, downsized and with a everyday car redline.... and that already gives them a fat minus point (for me).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    That's the thing though they only care about money now. It's such a sad fall and the more I think about it the angrier I get.
    At least they can't take the authentic BMW's away from us that created their dynasty, ie, e30 m3, e46 m3, etc. As an enthusiast, I do feel a little rejected and a little cheated recently by BMW. But the good thing about this situation is, they can drop one great car that would make us forget about all these reviews. Maybe we'll see it in the M4, who knows.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought the M6 would be more comparable with a CL Benz and not an SL. And how can you even compare an M6 to a Porsche? These reviews are a joke. Seems like everyone is expecting an M6 to perform like an M3, but it was never and will never be built for an M3 type of experience. So how about we compare the M6 to cars like the CL Benz and a Bentley Cont., instead of much smaller Porsche cars and SL cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SexiPYm3 Click here to enlarge
    I thought the M6 would be more comparable with a CL Benz and not an SL. And how can you even compare an M6 to a Porsche? These reviews are a joke. Seems like everyone is expecting an M6 to perform like an M3, but it was never and will never be built for an M3 type of experience. So how about we compare the M6 to cars like the CL Benz and a Bentley Cont., instead of much smaller Porsche cars and SL cars.
    I think people are expecting it to perform like an M. It's fairly fast but it just doesn't feel like an M. It's almost artificial. If it didn't have the M badge you wouldn't know it, that's the problem.

And these cars can all be cross shopped when looking for top down fun.

The SL is lighter and better balanced, I don't even know what to say to that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think people are expecting it to perform like an M. It's fairly fast but it just doesn't feel like an M. It's almost artificial. If it didn't have the M badge you wouldn't know it, that's the problem.

And these cars can all be cross shopped when looking for top down fun.

The SL is lighter and better balanced, I don't even know what to say to that.
    Everyone talks about M performance. But how does an M perform outside of an M3? Comparing each M car to an M3, I am not impressed by any them. Each car is larger and has more power. The weight seems to be the problem with maintaining the balance of the car. So other than the e39 M5, I can't think of any other M worth talking about. As time progresses, technology advances, cars are more prone to being heavier, and they gain more power. So I really don't know how people expect non M3 M models to perform like an "M".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SexiPYm3 Click here to enlarge
    Everyone talks about M performance. But how does an M perform outside of an M3? Comparing each M car to an M3, I am not impressed by any them. Each car is larger and has more power. The weight seems to be the problem with maintaining the balance of the car. So other than the e39 M5, I can't think of any other M worth talking about. As time progresses, technology advances, cars are more prone to being heavier, and they gain more power. So I really don't know how people expect non M3 M models to perform like an "M".
    It's not the weight that causes balance issues part of it now is the turbo powerplant. Extra weight, cooling, etc., on the nose. They aren't maintaining 50/50.

The E39 M5 is probably way more fun to drive than the new M6. It's slower, but it's a better M.

Why are cars more prone to being heavier exactly? The 991 is lighter than the previous gen. The new SL is lighter than the previous gen. BMW went cheap and isn't using aluminum and lightweight materials like the competition. They don't care.

The M5 never tried to be an M3, it was fantastic in its own right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BMW deserves the criticism for their heavy cars. However, the M6 cabrio is hardly a car to judge BMW M against. It's heavier because it's way larger, look at the rear seat space ratings, all the other competitors are shorter and some do not even have rear seats. They could not shorten it, the M division had no choice but to work with what they were provided. I drove an F10 M5 and the acceleration is incredible. The car is a boat, but it delivers great track numbers on circuits like Nurburgring so it's weight is well controlled. BMW M's new turbo engines are great and you don't feel the need for more power and torque like it was the case on their previous naturally asiprated engines (I drove the old e92 M3 and it was crawling at normal RPMs...). The new M3 will probably provide both the lightness and the much needed power especially power for everyday driving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    BMW deserves the criticism for their heavy cars. However, the M6 cabrio is hardly a car to judge BMW M against. It's heavier because it's way larger, look at the rear seat space ratings, all the other competitors are shorter and some do not even have rear seats. They could not shorten it, the M division had no choice but to work with what they were provided. I drove an F10 M5 and the acceleration is incredible. The car is a boat, but it delivers great track numbers on circuits like Nurburgring so it's weight is well controlled. BMW M's new turbo engines are great and you don't feel the need for more power and torque like it was the case on their previous naturally asiprated engines (I drove the old e92 M3 and it was crawling at normal RPMs...). The new M3 will probably provide both the lightness and the much needed power especially power for everyday driving.
    It's true that it's big but come on it's a blimp.

You can seat 4 in it though which is a bonus not possible with the others. Is that worth the numb steering though? And that the car is not much fun to drive?

You can seat four in an M3 cab too...