Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Need Help Reading/Interpreting Data for Intercooler

Wagner has graciously shared some data on their fmic for the 335d. I would appreciate some help interpreting their graph, as well as their graphic of the internal flow of the i/c (click on the images for more readable size). Here's what Carsten Wagner wrote about the i/c (with thanks to him for his willingness to share info):

Attached you will find the Flow Comparison OEM vs. our 335d IC, based on
    Pressure drop.

The test run was made with a SF-1020. We used Port Flow Analyzer 3.5 as
    Software.
    The Software works that way:

We have to set like 8 different target Pressure points, in that case inch
    per Water. We actually converted these to PSI on the Sheet.

The Graphs also includes the Pressure drop that the Piping and the adapter
    is building up.

Please note, this is the flow of the full cooler, not just the core!

The Main restriction is caused due the in and outlets. I have also attached
    a CFM Flow analyses, there you can see the bottleneck.

We have seen claims from some of our competition in the past with a Pressure
    drop of 0.5psi at 600-1000cfm. Something like that is just not possible,
    even not if the core is fully empty.

Our goal is always to have 10-15% less Pressure drop then the OEM Unit. On
    some coolers, like our Porsche intercoolers we have the same Pressure drop
    as the OEM unit, but we reach 20° less IAT.

I hope that helps a little bit...

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best Regards

Carsten Wagner
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What that graph is showing is for a given pressure drop, the Wagner inter cooler flows more than stock. In other words, for a given flow rate, the Wagner inter cooler has less of a pressure drop. For example, at 280 CFM, the Wagner inter cooler has a pressure drop of 1.44 PSI while the OEM inter cooler has a pressure drop of 1.8, 25% more than the Wagner.

The graphic shows the air speeds at different points inside the inter cooler. Geschwindigkeit translates to "speed" as in speed of air in the inter cooler. The red areas indicate the highest relative speeds. I'm not an expert in fluid dynamics, but I believe resistance to flow increases as the speed of a fluid increased. This resistance to flow creates a pressure drop.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    What that graph is showing is for a given pressure drop, the Wagner inter cooler flows more than stock. In other words, for a given flow rate, the Wagner inter cooler has less of a pressure drop. For example, at 280 CFM, the Wagner inter cooler has a pressure drop of 1.44 PSI while the OEM inter cooler has a pressure drop of 1.8, 25% more than the Wagner.

The graphic shows the air speeds at different points inside the inter cooler. Geschwindigkeit translates to "speed" as in speed of air in the inter cooler. The red areas indicate the highest relative speeds. I'm not an expert in fluid dynamics, but I believe resistance to flow increases as the speed of a fluid increased. This resistance to flow creates a pressure drop.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct. And I like to see data like this. Pressure drop vs flow is the most important factor when sizing an intercooler, other than heat rejection.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    You are correct. And I like to see data like this. Pressure drop vs flow is the most important factor when sizing an intercooler, other than heat rejection.
    DBFIU, I got your pm, and thank for your reply and contribution to this thread.

Here's some info on temps, comparing the factory i/c to the Wagner. This info came from the enthusiast in Germany who volunteered his 335d for measuring and then fitment. He was the first to get the i/c, and this info came from him the evening of the install. It's anecdotal, but it's all I have:

I just got back after the 11 hours trip with a 45 minute long traffic jamb and 1,160 kilometers to and from traveled.

This intercooler is awesome. Noticed a difference right away. Carsten the owner of Wagner and I did temperature checks before and after the new intercooler install. The old intercooler was reading around 64 degrees Celsius from the intercooler to the intake with an ambient outside air temp of 11 degrees Celsius. The new one had an outside air temp of 12 degrees Celsius and an awesome 41 degrees Celsius from the intercooler to the intake.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I sent Lenny from RENNtech and he saw the grahs he said he will reprogram the flash to optimize the flow chart readings and then hv a better setup soon!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I was hoping you would comment on this one. Where have you been @DBFIU?