Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

2012 10 best engines according to Ward

It is that time of year where all the lists are produced.
    As always Ward produced their list of the 10 best engines.
    They base their list on usability, gas consumption, sound, power delivery etc.
    2 out of 10 were for BMW power plants.
    The list is alfabetical, not 1 to 10.

3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)2.0L N20 Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (BMW 328i)
    3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW M135i)
    3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Ram 1500)
    2.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-4 (Ford Focus ST)
    5.8L Supercharged DOHC V-8 (Ford Shelby GT500)
    2.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Cadillac ATS)
    2.4L DOHC I-4 (Honda Accord Sport)
    3.5L SOHC V-6 (Honda Accord)
    2.0L FA DOHC H-4 Boxer (Subaru BRZ)

Note there are no hybrid engines in this list.
    The chairman of the jury said about that: “If next-generation EVs and hybrids raise the bar beyond the current Toyota Prius, Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt, then we’ll be happy to recognize them.”
    Hear hear Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW N20 and N55 turbocharged and direct injected motors make 2013 Ward's Best 10 Engines list

Congratulations to BMW who continues to rack up engine awards and deservedly so. The new N20 4-cylinder 2.0 liter direct injected turbo motor makes the list for the first time. The BMW N55 (replacement to the N54) single turbo 3.0 liter direct injected and turbocharged six-cylinder makes the list for the second straight year. The Ward's competition differs from the International Engine of the Year award in that only 10 engines are chosen and the price is capped at $55,000 for the cars the engine must appear in.

This makes for a competition that is less exciting than the International Engine of the Year awards but still prestigious targeting a different segment looking more at value, efficiency, vibration, emissions, and technical relevance. Direct injected motors dominated the competition. Congratulations to BMW on two awards out of the ten available.

Click here to enlarge

This year’s winners and the applications tested:

• 3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi A6)
    • 2.0L N20 Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (BMW Z4/528i)
    • 3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 335i coupe)
    • 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Chrysler 300S/Jeep Wrangler)
    • 2.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-4 (Ford Edge)
    • 5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang Boss 302)
    • 2.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Buick Regal GS)
    • 1.6L DOHC I-4 (Hyundai Accent/Kia Soul)
    • 2.0L Skyactiv DOHC I-4 (Mazda3)
    • 3.5L DOHC V-6 HEV (Infiniti M35h)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The pentastar 6 is total garbage, I had a rental car with one. Why the ecoboost edge motor or accent motor come here is beyond me as well... The Evo motor and VW 2.0 Tfsi motor are two that should replace the previously mentioned crappy ones.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    The pentastar 6 is total garbage, I had a rental car with one. Why the ecoboost edge motor or accent motor come here is beyond me as well... The Evo motor and VW 2.0 Tfsi motor are two that should replace the previously mentioned crappy ones.
    Evo motor!? As in, the one in the Lancer Evolution? Yeah right, that engine is garbage. It gives you a burst of midrange power and is completely dead by 5,000RPM. When I drove the Evo X, I got bored waiting for it to rev to its redline. Technically speaking, the power does rise slowly until redline but the torque falls off so rapidly after 4,000RPM that it genuinely feels like a slow car in stock form.

The N20 is an infinitely superior 2 liter four cylinder. I traded cars with my brother today and took his F30 328i up to Hollywood and back and the only thing I can really complain about is the sound the engine makes, it just doesn't sound very sporty at all and is a little out of place in a BMW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    Evo motor!? As in, the one in the Lancer Evolution? Yeah right, that engine is garbage. It gives you a burst of midrange power and is completely dead by 5,000RPM. When I drove the Evo X, I got bored waiting for it to rev to its redline. Technically speaking, the power does rise slowly until redline but the torque falls off so rapidly after 4,000RPM that it genuinely feels like a slow car in stock form.

The N20 is an infinitely superior 2 liter four cylinder. I traded cars with my brother today and took his F30 328i up to Hollywood and back and the only thing I can really complain about is the sound the engine makes, it just doesn't sound very sporty at all and is a little out of place in a BMW.

N20 sounds like complete ass indeed... evo is a legendary motor unfortunately its true colors arent shown in stock form
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    N20 sounds like complete ass indeed... evo is a legendary motor unfortunately its true colors arent shown in stock form
    How funny that I made my post making fun of the Evo's motor and then one hour later got in my car to go to a friends house and ended up at the lights next to an Evo VII in my 335is. He looked like he wanted to play and seemed confident because it was pouring rain, but I was shocked that I beat him even though I spun first and second and some of third. The top end of that Evo motor really is lacking but with a simple software reflash they really wake up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    How funny that I made my post making fun of the Evo's motor and then one hour later got in my car to go to a friends house and ended up at the lights next to an Evo VII in my 335is. He looked like he wanted to play and seemed confident because it was pouring rain, but I was shocked that I beat him even though I spun first and second and some of third. The top end of that Evo motor really is lacking but with a simple software reflash they really wake up.
    Kinda idiotic to play around like that in the rain, but whatever. Evo's run extremely rich from the factory.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    Kinda idiotic to play around like that in the rain, but whatever. Evo's run extremely rich from the factory.
    It's true... the 4G63T and 4B11T are some of the best 4 cylinder motors ever made... no idea why they sell them with like 291 hp stock, if the motor came with 340-350 from the factory it would be a goldmine. Unfortunately in this case; the fuel efficiency on these motors is comparable to the M5's V10...lol
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interesting list. I completely disagree on the ATS and BRZ engines. I've never driven either of them but both have not received much praise from reviewers.