Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW currently in talks to buy Italian automaker De Tomaso of Pantera fame

BMW is interested in purchasing De Tomaso as talks between the two for this reason were confirmed. The question is, why? De Tomaso has not done anything of merit for automotive enthusiasts since the Pantera in the 70's and went into liquidation in 2004. The value here clearly is not in production capacity or in acquiring a profitable carmaker. The only thing De Tomaso offers is the name and Italian heritage.

BMW said earlier this year it had no interest in De Tomaso. Perhaps the VW Group's recent buying spree has changed the mind of BMW executives. The thing is, the Italian make Volkswagen owns has a much richer heritage than De Tomaso. The average person knows the name Ferrari or Lamborghini but it will take someone who really pays attention to the car world to know the De Tomaso name today.

Maybe BMW intends to make a cheap FIAT style entry level car with the De Tomaso name? Maybe, the whole move does not make all too much sense but if anyone could do something with the brand to revitalize it BMW has proved capable with what they achieved with MINI.

Click here to enlarge

Source
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pantera GT5-S is on my must build list... Interesting choice since its damn near out of business, I wonder if they would do a whole line to taunt Maserati & Bentley
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You wrote the article with negativity in mind. DeTomaso is awesome. It wasn't Ferrari or Lamborghini, true but that also means they only were driven by people who knew how great the cars were.

Cheap Fiat rival? What Fiat? Fiat doesn't build sports car anymore. Alfa Romeo makes more sense. But keep this in mind that BMW owns the Triumph mark and a Triumph rival for Alfa/Fiat makes more sense than DeTomaso.
    IMO, they should target R8 and SLS with a reborn Pantera and also bring a 911 rival under Mangusta name.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    You wrote the article with negativity in mind. DeTomaso was awesome.
    No, sorry, I didn't. Corrected your sentence.

Cheap Fiat rival? What Fiat? Fiat doesn't build sports car anymore.
    Ya that's my point. They would be building some cheap FIAT city car likely.

IMO, they should target R8 and SLS with a reborn Pantera and also bring a 911 rival under Mangusta name.
    That would be great. They don't need the De Tomaso name to do this though.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky
    That would be great. They don't need the De Tomaso name to do this though.
    Well you know the story of Mini cars. BMW developed a small car years ago. But before they pull the trigger for the production, they decided that the car isn't suitable for BMW brand and went buy Mini and made that car under Mini name. A brand that was known for making micro cars. This situation is like that almost. IF the goal behind buying DeTomaso is making a super car/sports car (which i highly doubt that BMW is going to give green light to such car), DeTomaso seems to be a better brand than BMW because except the M1, BMW never built a true rival for 911 or something that fits in R8 class.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky
    Ya that's my point. They would be building some cheap FIAT city car likely.
    That sucks then but i highly doubt they are gonna make city cars with DeTomaso name. They have Isetta, they can start with that which makes a whole lot better than DeTomaso for city cars. But they have Mini already, don't they? New range of city cars doesn't make sense at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very interesting. If this could flesh out a lineup
    from top to bottom of new cars it could be fun with a revived brand. If this comes to fruition, get your popcorn ready!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well you know the story of Mini cars. BMW developed a small car years ago. But before they pull the trigger for the production, they decided that the car isn't suitable for BMW brand and went buy Mini and made that car under Mini name. A brand that was known for making micro cars. This situation is like that almost. IF the goal behind buying DeTomaso is making a super car/sports car (which i highly doubt that BMW is going to give green light to such car), DeTomaso seems to be a better brand than BMW because except the M1, BMW never built a true rival for 911 or something that fits in R8 class.
    MINI is a little more well known and additionally is for cheaper front wheel drive cars that BMW was not building. BMW does not need the De Tomaso name to go high end. Your examples were Audi and Mercedes...

That sucks then but i highly doubt they are gonna make city cars with DeTomaso name. They have Isetta, they can start with that which makes a whole lot better than DeTomaso for city cars. But they have Mini already, don't they? New range of city cars doesn't make sense at all.
    BMW keeps building cheaper and cheaper cars for mass consumption. De Tomaso doesn't make sense to begin with, it's pointless.