Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Which brake pads do you use for DD and road course?

I've been searching for some good brake pads which I can use on road courses, but do not perform any less then the OEM brake pads for DD.
    On a road course the OEM brake pads tent to overheat quite quickly, even with ventilated Performance disks, if you really start pushing and braking late.
    Results are blue brake rotors (front and rear) and the first 2 weeks after a road course glazed pads.

A good friend of me advised me PAGID brake pads, but off course they don't make them for the 135i I own.
    Carbone Lorraine brake pads are also top of the line, but they don't make the RC5 pads any more for the front brakes of my car.

I like the initial bite the OEM brakes give, and the consistent braking , well as long as they don't overheat that is. Which for normal use they don't...
    As a minor downside to the OEM brake pads I can add that they produce a lot of brake dust, but that is also due to my driving style of normally braking quite late. Less dust would be nice, but is not a main issue.
    Service is coming up, the brake pads only have 3000 miles to go says the onboard, so looking for new pads.

So my question to you is, what brake pads do yo use, why do you like them, and how do they respond on the street and during consistent heavy use?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I honestly have no idea what to recommend here or who to even ask to chime in on brake pads.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You have the BMW Performance brake package or just the disks?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I have used EBC pads on every car I own and love them.

Reds: Equal a GREAT all around pad for the street and occasional track use.
    Yellows: Are more of a track pad, but MANY on the other site have used them on the street. Just keep in mind they are more of a track pad, meaning they need a little heat to work right.
    Blues: TRACK ONLY, do NOT use them on the street.

Pagid: I have heard good things about them, but Tirerack told me to stay away from them IF you are going to use them for the track. They can NOT handle the heat.

Akebono's: MANY MB owners swear by them, but I have no personnel information on them. Other than they are NOT track rated.

Side note: Autozone GOLD ceramic are a decent all around pad, low dust and they work pretty good.

Personnel favorite: EBC RED for the win, IMHO

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    You have the BMW Performance brake package or just the disks?
    The performance package has the standard brake pads. I already had the M-spec calipers.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    The performance package has the standard brake pads. I already had the M-spec calipers.
    If you have M calipers then Brembo has got you covered. The calipers are made by Brembo, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you have M calipers then Brembo has got you covered. The calipers are made by Brembo, right?
    Yes, Brembo made them.
    But they offer only front pads themselves for the 135i, and they don't indicate anything as for performance of the pads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm in the exact same situation but only have 500km left on my pads. I want to upgrade the pad without making any compromises for the street.

At the moment I'm tossing up between OEM pads + better fluid or trying the Feroro DS2500. DS2500 is a better track pad but doesn't have the initial bite of the OEM pad. Other downside is it doesn't have cut-outs for the wear sensor and I've heard they can make some clunking noises too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Which one of our vendors sells pads?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Modbaragins maybe?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Modbaragins maybe?
    Yep I think they have pads, @ModBargains

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    EBC Yellows are great all round. Im currently running Hawk DTC-70's from and rear. Now keep in mind my car is not a DD anymore. These are loud, dust and are a track pad! You can use them on the street inital cold bite is ok. But once heat starts to generate in them, you will never look at another pad for mixed use. But be warned, you do need to watch when it is COLD out. For just street use I would suggest EBC Greens. Track I would suggest a true track pad. PFC01/PFC06. Hawk DTC series, EBC Blue. After these im going to swap my pads out at the track. You cannot get the best of both worlds. I would suggest running street pads, then get yourself a intro track pad like HT-10 or even and Enduro pad like the PFC06. This will get you used to the transition. But thats only a suggestion.