Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Please school me on older BMW engines.

Hello,

Can someone please tell me the pedigree of engines that BMW made starting with the E30, in what model, chassis, were they found and not found.

For instance, the M50/S50, inline 6s. 4 banger S14 etc...

Wikipedia just isn't enough.

What engine was found in a 325e? What about a 325is? Were there any inline 6s found in any E30 318s? etc...

Which engines had variable cam phasing? Which didn't? What were the respective displacements. Which inline 6 is most popular as your typical "engine swap" into an E30 + turbo.

I would love to eventually build an E30 with a turbo inline, but I lack the knowledge of the older inline 6's and their specifications.

Please advise.

Thanks,

- D
    Last edited by DBFIU; 06-25-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    m50 based motors are found in e36 92-99 model cars(s50/52 are US based off the it, and the s50b30/s50b32 are the EURO motors) The e30 has I believe the m20 and m40 which is the 4 banger motor. The e30 m3 has the s14.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Hello,

Can someone please tell me the pedigree of engines that BMW made starting with the E30, in what model, chassis, were they found and not found.

For instance, the M50/S50, inline 6s. 4 banger S14 etc...

Wikipedia just isn't enough.

What engine was found in a 325e? What about a 325is? Were there any inline 6s found in any E30 318s? etc...

Which engines had variable cam phasing? Which didn't? What were the respective displacements. Which inline 6 is most popular as your typical "engine swap" into an E30 + turbo.

I would love to eventually build an E30 with a turbo inline, but I lack the knowledge of the older inline 6's and their specifications.

Please advise.

Thanks,

- D
    Any of the M50 or S50 motors are the most popular E30 swaps. E36 drivetrains into E30's are common swaps.

The E30 came with the M10 straight 4 as well as the M20 I-6. Ditching either of these for the M50/M52 happens all the time. The M40 came later which was a 4 cylinder in 1.6 and 1.8 liter displacements replacing the M10.

The 323i was 2.3 liters.

The 325e was 2.7 liters. The e was for efficiency.

The M20 is a 2 valve design and pretty much always dumped for M50 4 valve designs if you are serious about power. You can install an S52 or M54 crank to increase the displacement up to around 3.1 liters. It is just best to start with an M50/M52 if building for turbo, manifolds are available.

You kind of have me wanting to build an E30 turbo cab.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Any of the M50 or S50 motors are the most popular E30 swaps. E36 drivetrains into E30's are common swaps.

The E30 came with the M10 straight 4 as well as the M20 I-6. Ditching either of these for the M50/M52 happens all the time. The M40 came later which was a 4 cylinder in 1.6 and 1.8 liter displacements replacing the M10.

The 323i was 2.3 liters.

The 325e was 2.7 liters. The e was for efficiency.

The M20 is a 2 valve design and pretty much always dumped for M50 4 valve designs if you are serious about power. You can install an S52 or M54 crank to increase the displacement up to around 3.1 liters. It is just best to start with an M50/M52 if building for turbo, manifolds are available.

You kind of have me wanting to build an E30 turbo cab.
    Thanks for the info sticky.

Are M50 or M54 engines easy to find in junkyards? Are the stock bottom ends stout? Say to handle 500 whp range boosted?

If I want to do a basic swap into an E30 chassis, M50 motor with turbo, how much would a basic swap cost me, engine + transmission + turbo + tuning + swap kit + misc = about 10k - 15k?

Thanks

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info sticky.

Are M50 or M54 engines easy to find in junkyards? Are the stock bottom ends stout? Say to handle 500 whp range boosted?

If I want to do a basic swap into an E30 chassis, M50 motor with turbo, how much would a basic swap cost me, engine + transmission + turbo + tuning + swap kit + misc = about 10k - 15k?

Thanks
    Most guys say to go with the M50 or M52 bottom end. The M54 is reasonably strong as well but I don't believe it has as many tried and true big power setups as the M50/M52.

Yes, it is a common and cheap motor to find.

One of the E36 guys will know more about the cost to do a full swap like that but I think you have the right range. You are not talking built motor, right?
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Most guys say to go with the M50 or M52 bottom end. The M54 is reasonably strong as well but I don't believe it has as many tried and true big power setups as the M50/M52.

Yes, it is a common and cheap motor to find.

One of the E36 guys will know more about the cost to do a full swap like that but I think you have the right range. You are not talking built motor, right?
    Not a built motor, but anything to sustain the 500 whp is really what I want. If the stock bottom end can handle it.

If the head is in good condition, will just o-ringing it be OKAY to handle boost?

The M52B28 is a 2.8 liter I6. It has cam phasing. I am assuming this would be a more expensive engine to find.

I may just end up getting a junkyard M50, seems cheaper and I dont need cam advance. I just want raw boost to make power.

Oh look what I found

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...95&hg=11&fg=05

Click here to enlarge