Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

F1 2012 - Mercedes GP Canadian GP Results: 6th place for Nico, Schumi Retires Again

The Canadian Grand Prix has never disappointed and this year followed suit. Lewis Hamilton with his Mclaren Mercedes became the 7th winner this season. Hamilton raced with perfection to hold off Alonso and Vettel to claim the win. RBR’s Vettel started the race first with Hamilton behind, but by the end of the first pit stop he dropped to third. Hamilton retained second and Alonso claimed the lead. As the race went on, Ferrari kept Alonso out while Vettel and Hamilton pitted for a third set of wheels. Hamilton managed to overtake Vettel and then a fading Alonso. With four laps to go, Renault’s Grosjean, Sauber’s Perez and Vettel all managed to overtake Alonso. Perez stood out as the star of the race, starting 15th, he opted for a one stop strategy and finished the race in 3rd place barely 5sec behind Hamilton.

Mercedes AMG GP had an average day. At the beginning of the race Rosberg fell victim to the DRS and was passed by Felipe Massa and Paul Di Resta. During the middle of the race, Rosberg picked up pace and was setting blistering times lap after lap, but in the end he could only manage a 6th place finish.

This year hasn’t been kind to Schumacher. He was forced by the race officials to retire after his rear DRS wing malfunctioned and was left permanently open. This is his forth retirement so far this season. His pit crew tried to fix the issued with brute force, but were unsuccessful and his race was over.

For Nico,
    “sixth place is a decent result today and it’s important for both me and the team to keep scoring points for the championship and maintain our consistency. It was a mixed-up race and it was difficult to find a rhythm, particularly at the start, but by the end, the gap to the leading cars was not that big.
    It could have gone better this weekend, and we just need a little bit more performance to be competing at the front. However we are making good progress and increasing our understanding of the tyres all the time.”
    Michael after the race had this to say.
    “Unfortunately, our weekend in Montreal didn’t turn out trouble-free for me and a hydraulic problem with the DRS forced me to end my race early”
    At first, I didn’t know exactly what the problem was; I overshot the corner, ran through the grass and asked myself what was going on. Then the team told me about the problem and I saw it in the mirrors.
    Of course it’s disappointing for all of us but it’s not a question of pointing fingers; stuff like this happens. I know the team are doing their best and that it probably hits them even harder than me. We’ll be back on the attack in Valencia.”
    For Ross,
    “we had a very quick car today, as Nico's performance in particular showed, but a combination of failing to achieve our potential in qualifying and a messy race cost us positions at the flag. We asked both drivers to be cautious with the super soft tyres in the first five laps to ensure we didn't push them too hard, but when we gave them the go-ahead, it was clear that Nico - who was running in clean air - was extremely quick and one of the fastest cars.
    Michael was caught in a train of cars in the lower half of the top ten, and although we tried something different by stopping early in order to get him into clean air, it didn't quite work for us. He then suffered a hydraulic issue which left his DRS jammed open and it was not possible to fix it in race conditions.
    I can only apologise to Michael for a further technical failure. As for Nico, his race was running to plan and he was gaining on the leaders when he ran across Massa, who was running out of tyres and defending vigorously before his final stop.
    This cost Nico both track position and time that proved crucial in the closing laps. Ultimately, that's part of racing, but the real lesson from today is that achieving our potential in qualifying, and running clean races, is vital for strong results.”
    Norbert felt today’s race was a great and exciting one:
    “Nico was able to lap at the same speed as the leaders after a tricky opening few laps. Nico was 14 seconds behind first place at the end of the race - the same gap as we saw after 10 laps. Our team has taken an important step forward and got the most from the tyres in track temperatures that exceeded 40 degrees, which was demonstrated by Nico several times setting the fastest laps of the race during his stints.
    We got the tyre management right here, as in Monaco, and we are working hard to push this process further forward. After seven races, Nico is 21 points behind the championship leader - he has scored on average just three points fewer than leader Lewis Hamilton, which is not too big a gap.
    Michael was running well after his early stop until he was forced to retire with his rear wing flap stuck open. It’s clear to everybody in the team that we must achieve the same levels of reliability on his car as we have with Nico, who has completed every racing lap so far this season.
    Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes on their victory today - it was the 300th race for McLaren and Mercedes, a milestone which adds extra significance to Lewis’ appearance on the top step of the podium.”

FULL RACE RESULTS
    After 70 of 70 laps
    Position Driver Team
    Race completed
    1 Great Britain L Hamilton McLaren
    2 Switzerland R Grosjean Lotus
    3 Mexico S Perez Sauber
    4 Germany S Vettel Red Bull
    5 Spain F Alonso Ferrari
    6 Germany N Rosberg Mercedes
    7 Australia M Webber Red Bull
    8 Finland K Raikkonen Lotus
    9 Japan K Kobayashi Sauber
    10 Brazil F Massa Ferrari
    11 Great Britain P Di Resta Force India
    12 Germany N Hulkenberg Force India
    13 Venezuela P Maldonado Williams
    14 Australia D Ricciardo Toro Rosso
    15 France J Vergne Toro Rosso
    16 Great Britain J Button McLaren
    17 Brazil B Senna Williams
    18 Finland H Kovalainen Caterham
    19 Russian Federation V Petrov Caterham
    20 France C Pic Marussia
    21 Germany T Glock (ret.) Marussia
    22 Germany M Schumacher (ret.) Mercedes
    23 Spain P de la Rosa (ret.) HRT
    24 India N Karthikeyan (ret.) HRT
    Click here to enlarge
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    There you go @Sticky Click here to enlarge

Great result for Hamilton and Mclaren for their 300th race. Hopefully Schumi can get over this bad luck he's been having.
    2010 335i Coupe Le Mans Blue
    *JB4 Powered*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Promoting to front page.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped