Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

535d turbo-back custom exhaust

My car already has dpf-back custom exhaust: two 2,5" pipes till end (no mufflers or resonators).

Click here to enlarge

My car is the 1st Gen of the 5 Series 35d, so has the cat right after the turbo and a single pipe that connects the cat to the DPF that is placed at middle of the exhaust system. The DPF outlet has two pipes as you can see in the pic above.

My idea is to buy the 3" downpipe from ecotune-scotland.co.uk to eliminate the cat, followed by a 3" single pipe to a magnaflow muffler that will replace the DPF. Then connect to the existent rear pipes.

Click here to enlarge

I searched a muffler with: long box, single inlet and dual oulet and straight-throughtperforated core. I found this from magnaflow:

Inlet/Outlet Size:
    3in./2.5in.
    Body Shape: 5in.x11in. Oval
    Core Size: Dual 2.5in.
    Body Length: 22in.

Click here to enlarge

What do you think? Should i change something? Pipe size, muffler,...?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wonder why nobody noticed this.

Custom is basically how you have to go, I think you have the right idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Op, since your car has a DPF, have you determined how you will recode the ECU to eliminate the particulate burn off cycles for the DPF? Does someone in the UK offer that type of recoding service? Or would this be part of an aftermarket tune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 62Lincoln Click here to enlarge
    Op, since your car has a DPF, have you determined how you will recode the ECU to eliminate the particulate burn off cycles for the DPF? Does someone in the UK offer that type of recoding service? Or would this be part of an aftermarket tune?

Good question... bump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The DPF program will be deleted from the ecu. Nowadays, any good ecu programmer have access to that kind of stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tiago Click here to enlarge
    The DPF program will be deleted from the ecu. Nowadays, any good ecu programmer have access to that kind of stuff
    Excellent! In the U.S., the d is so uncommon, we don't have that kind of service available.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 62Lincoln Click here to enlarge
    Excellent! In the U.S., the d is so uncommon, we don't have that kind of service available.
    Yes you have. There is a UK company that sell complete kits worldwide, bypass pipes and obdII flash device. Check this link: http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/pr...omplete%20Kits

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Diesels are awesome! We had one make 1430lb-ft of torque the other day on our Mustang dyne. (5.9 Cummins)

Do the diesel BMWs have EGR valves?

Definitely get that diesel particulate filter out and get it tuned properly!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Diesels are awesome! We had one make 1430lb-ft of torque the other day on our Mustang dyne. (5.9 Cummins)

Do the diesel BMWs have EGR valves?

Definitely get that diesel particulate filter out and get it tuned properly!
    In the U.S., they definitely have EGR valves. I don't think there is anyone in the U.S. with the programming capability for the d - the market is just too small. There *are* several companies that have purchased tunes from Europe to sell over here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    great info. Im a big diesel fan as well, id like to see the D come to light sooner....I think the real problem here in the US is that a lot of people just lease the car and return it in 2 years. I dont know if people have that option outside of here, but I guess when you live in the UK you have to finance it, meaning you are committed to the car...which means more cars to get some serious modding done!

Around here, most people are so scared of voiding a warranty they wouldnt touch the DPF or the downpipe. I say the hell with the warranty, you just gotta find a good dealer to get you by Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Tiago great job, now I wonder if I can do this to my 335d umm knowing me I would take the gambl and do it,LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't understand why BMW diesels were not introduced to the US market in 1998 when they became popular in our euro scene...

They consume less fuel, their emissions are lower... they make plenty good power, especially the all so popular M57D30 that was marketed in 1998..

(first car to be delivered to a customer was 23 December 1997 in Belgium, LeMans Blue E39 530d)

The original M57D30 can be ECU tuned to make 270hp without any trouble, EGTs will stay at a incredibly low level...

M57TUD30 will make ~300hp reliably, and the TU2D30s will make ~350hp reliably...

But in the Diesel scene, it's not all about horsepower... higher gear ratios, more torque is the winner here.... my E60 530d made 532.5 ft.lb with only similar exhaust modifications like this 535d... but a single 3" pipe with 3" muffler at the rear... and a ECU remap... done by the controversial but in my opinion great tuner Mr.X (Don't remember his alias but he is registered on this forum, i'm sure he could do a number on a 535d)

These BMW Diesels are without a doubt the best in their category... i would really like to say that the M57 is the best Diesel engine in the world, but i would be lying Click here to enlarge (My trusty P-7100 Cummins 12valve would have to take that title Click here to enlarge )
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I contatced the these guys from Ecotune and this is what i wrote to them;

"I have a 2011 335d here in Puerto Rico and we are governed by US laws, therefore, I would like to know if you guys have anything for us in the USA for the X5d and 335d. Hence, we a DPF tank. Any assistance would help. You can post your comments at bimmerboost.com or Bimmerfest.com and or respond to me. Thank you"

once I get response I will post ok

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Ok amigos I got a reply as follows:

Hi Axel,

Here in Europe our diesels are subject to a smoke test where the car must score very low in order to pass. This test has recently changed reducing the pass limit from 3.0 to 1.5.

A dpf installed 335d will score somewhere in the region of 0.1 and with the DPF removed the score is around 0.5. Given the limit is 1.5 here there is no issue removing the DPF, perhaps the same applies in the USA.

We tune many here in the UK and can achieve terrific results from the 335d however, your car is installed with a protected EDC17 ecu which must be removed from the car for bench programming.

We would be delighted to assist in the tuning of your vehicles however, as we are in the UK the only solution would be posting the ECU to have our settings applied or for us to fly a representative over to complete the work locally.

Best wishes,

Stan Ward
    Technical Director
    Ecotune UK Ltd
    Phone/Fax: 0845 409 4567
    Mobile: 07595 423160
    www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk

and this was my reply:

Stan thanks for your prompt reply, I cannot send the ECU BUT, you can send your rep down to Puerto Rico and he/she can stay at my place. I have gorgeuos 4 bedroom home, and if its a he, he doesnt have to shave his legs, LOL. I have a girlfriend, everything will be on me as far as the stay he only has to pay his food wherever I take him/her. Also, RENNtech has modded my vehicle , we did a Dyno run and we hit 300 hp on the wheels vice 230 before. Let me know what you guys want to do

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
    Ok amigos I got a reply as follows:

Hi Axel,

Here in Europe our diesels are subject to a smoke test where the car must score very low in order to pass. This test has recently changed reducing the pass limit from 3.0 to 1.5.

A dpf installed 335d will score somewhere in the region of 0.1 and with the DPF removed the score is around 0.5. Given the limit is 1.5 here there is no issue removing the DPF, perhaps the same applies in the USA.

We tune many here in the UK and can achieve terrific results from the 335d however, your car is installed with a protected EDC17 ecu which must be removed from the car for bench programming.

We would be delighted to assist in the tuning of your vehicles however, as we are in the UK the only solution would be posting the ECU to have our settings applied or for us to fly a representative over to complete the work locally.

Best wishes,

Stan Ward
    Technical Director
    Ecotune UK Ltd
    Phone/Fax: 0845 409 4567
    Mobile: 07595 423160
    www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk

and this was my reply:

Stan thanks for your prompt reply, I cannot send the ECU BUT, you can send your rep down to Puerto Rico and he/she can stay at my place. I have gorgeuos 4 bedroom home, and if its a he, he doesnt have to shave his legs, LOL. I have a girlfriend, everything will be on me as far as the stay he only has to pay his food wherever I take him/her. Also, RENNtech has modded my vehicle , we did a Dyno run and we hit 300 hp on the wheels vice 230 before. Let me know what you guys want to do
    Good info, never heard of these guys though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Sticky any word from Chris and other guys with the latest version of our side of the pond exhaust system

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky any word from Chris and other guys with the latest version of our side of the pond exhaust system
    Nope...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just a update to show my latest exhaust version: 3" stainless steel pipe; 3x free flow mufflers (straight perforated pipe inside the muffler with the same size as the exterior pipe), one muffler at the center and the other two at the rear of each side; E60 M5 Eisenmann Race oval tips 4x120x77mm

Click here to enlarge

Sound

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow man badass. Do you have a thread on your car?
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    Wow man badass. Do you have a thread on your car?
    No but i will answer to all your questions about my car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the rear end of your car must get filthy lol... sounds badass
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tiago Click here to enlarge
    Just a update to show my latest exhaust version: 3" stainless steel pipe; 3x free flow mufflers (straight perforated pipe inside the muffler with the same size as the exterior pipe), one muffler at the center and the other two at the rear of each side; E60 M5 Eisenmann Race oval tips 4x120x77mm

Click here to enlarge

Sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml0AJ...ature=youtu.be
    I want to know what power difference this makes...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I want to know what power difference this makes...
    With a normal tune for 350hp, the exhaust and ic it gaves alone a jump of 35hp. Then, after the ecu adjust it allowed more 20hp for a total of 405hp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no problems with the tranny? i have almost the same parts (without turbo upgrade). They have still to be installed but the tuner warned me that more than 700 nm gets really dangerous for the automatic transmission. He will probably taper the torque for safety reasons.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The tranny made +100.000km above 750nm and now with 850nm still don't show any sign of weakness. This make me believe that ZF gearboxes are bulletproof but i also follow the advice of my tuner to change oil each 30k and filter each 60k. It is a expensive maintainance but zero problems so far. A lot more cheaper than to deal with a gearbox failure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast