Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Post Performance Box (aka vbox) as a Performance Meter

For those of you considering the PerformanceBox from Racelogic, sometimes referred to mistakenly as the "vbox" which is another more expensive product from Racelogic, here's a bit of an overview on what it is/does and some data on who uses it magazine wise, how it calculates 1/4 mile times and its accuracy as well as mention of NHRA 1-foot rollout feature which even more closely matches 1/4 mile ETs...

Personally, I've got one and can't imagine having a performance car without one...its not cheap, about $400-$500 used/new...i've even got it hardwired in the car now Click here to enlarge

Their software is a bit clunky but after a while you get used to it...if you do get one make sure you update its firmware to the latest...

---------------

PerformanceBox as a Performance Meter

Click here to enlarge
    Not only is the new PerformanceBox the most sophisticated Performance meter on the market, but it is also one of the simplest to use, with many features normally found only on professional test equipment. You can quickly measure the acceleration, braking and cornering performance of your car without having to set anything up beforehand, and there is no need to perform any calibration. Because PerformanceBox is based on GPS, you get so much more for your money than just a simple performance meter.PerformanceBox uses a GPS system with an update rate of 10 samples per second, which is the fastest GPS engine in its class. From this you get a very accurate speed (±0.1kmh), cornering g-force, acceleration g-force and a very accurate distance measurement (±10cm in 400m).PerformanceBox is based on VBOX technology, which has been used all round the world by the majority of motor manufacturers for a number of years to measure speed, distance and aceleration.

Sample screens
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Using PerformanceBox as a performance meter could not be simpler, you connect it to your cigar lighter socket, wait a few seconds to get GPS lock, put it into 'Performance Mode' and drive!To swap between the 6 different performance meter screens, simply press the up and down arrows.Performance ranges and units are fully user adjustable, which means if you want to measure a specific acceleration or deceleration range, for example 35-65, then this is very easy to do.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Performance meter features

• Speed kmh or mph
    • Distance metres or feet
    • 4 accel ranges - 2 adjustable
    • 2 decel ranges - 2 adjustable
    • 4 distance ranges (1/4 mile etc)
    • 1 foot rollout option
    • Peak g-force
    • Top speed
    • Average speed
    • SD card logging

Quarter mile testing
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Using PerformanceBox to measure your 1/4 mile is very easy, simply scroll the screen to the 1/4 mile screen, and then go! The elapsed time and trap speed are then both displayed in real time on the PerformanceBox screen. You can choose to make this measurement either with or without the NHRA 1 foot rollout method.
    The 1/4 mile times measured by PerformanceBox are accurate to within 0.1s. After an acceleration run, you can download your data from the SD card and overlay a previous run to see where you lost or gained time.
    To view a test report comparing the quarter mile capabilities of PerformanceBox against a leading competitor click here.

Click here to enlarge
    Who uses PerformanceBox?
    PerformanceBoxes are now being used by to measure acceleration, braking, and lap times by many car and bike magazines, such as EVO, AutoExpress, Autocar, Redline, Max Power, Banzai, Japanese Performance, Performance BMW, Car & Driver, Performance Bikes, Ride, to name only a few.
    For a video demonstration of the performance test capabilities of the PerformanceBox, please click here.
    Using the supplied software and an SD flash card, you can download the speed/time/distance/acceleration data from PerformanceBox via USB and analyse it using the PerformanceTools analysis software:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Another very powerful feature is the ability to export your PerformanceBox position files to Google Earth, allowing you to plot your vehicle's path onto a satellite image of the area.
    Click here to enlarge
    A PerformanceBox file taken around Paul Ricard imported into Google Earth
    Click here to enlarge
    A PerformanceBox file logged during a journey over a mountain pass in Switzerland

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its a must have. I need to get one very badly.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want this for Christmas!
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will def. get one for Christmas!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dzenno u sound like the poster boy for racelogic lol.

Great tuning tool for sure. Buddy of mine bought one after playing with mine over the weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hehehe I'm sure I sound like that for any product I truly enjoy...I also go pretty hard against the $#@! products as well Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love mine! Agree about the software though, takes time to fully understand it.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice post. Might have to find a used one for cheap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Even used they don't go for cheaper than 400 anywhere...holds value incredibly well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I laugh at people writing on their sig 8 sec 100-200 taken from a video on stock turbos no meth... For us knowing how expensive and time consuming it is to get there is a joke....
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hell you never know. I just bought a new aquamist flow sensor for 60 bucks shipped. Brand new cost 200 shipped!! Just have to be on the look out for one on the Internet or eBay.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Hell you never know. I just bought a new aquamist flow sensor for 60 bucks shipped. Brand new cost 200 shipped!! Just have to be on the look out for one on the Internet or eBay.
    i was on the "lookout" for a while but then again i did end up paying full price for the aquamist flow sensor too and you didn't Click here to enlarge good luck...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Isnt this called vbox mini lol.Great product. I need to come up on 500 dollars though. Impossible to find this used lol
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good news is these things hold resale value very well. You'll lose a 100 if that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly but no one sells them once they get them Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got one a couple of months ago for a really good price, it is an excellent tool for tuning!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice write up...Now I need one of these...like a hole in the head...
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by farbmw Click here to enlarge
    Got one a couple of months ago for a really good price, it is an excellent tool for tuning!
    what was the really good price?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $325us shipped, a guy in Texas used it twice and then sold his 335i, so he didn't need it anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that IS a good price indeed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moved to general automotive.