Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mercedes to launch new entry level front wheel drive SLA roadster to slot below the SLK

Seems every major German brand is for some reason intent on introducing more lower priced and entry level models. Not surprising considering the current state of the worldwide economy and how Mercedes wants to surpass both Audi and BMW for the number 1 sales position. We are a bit disappointed Mercedes is choosing to go the front wheel drive route with this car. Why not brand it a Smart? BMW is able to get away with FWD with Mini and Mercedes may be taking the brand a bit too far downscale with this car. Expect the SLA to have a turbocharged 4 cylinder and a DCT transmission available. No word on when it will be available.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would want to say that they are filling the need for smaller cars due to the ever increasing size of the current cars, ie 1 series = old 3, 3 = old 5, 5 = 7...you get it, but I wont because this is front wheel drive. So there it is....
    ​#Chuckstrong

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    I would want to say that they are filling the need for smaller cars due to the ever increasing size of the current cars, ie 1 series = old 3, 3 = old 5, 5 = 7...you get it, but I wont because this is front wheel drive. So there it is....
    Smaller cars are fine but FWD Mercedes roadsters? Come on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    On the surface it kind of bothers me. But in reality if it can keep Mercedes flush with cash then that can also mean more R+D into the AMG brand and better high end cars overall. I don't think MB would ever consider a spin-off brand name to build these under since they know the value of the three pointed star.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    fail.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Has mercedes no shame? dreadful

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 220S Click here to enlarge
    On the surface it kind of bothers me. But in reality if it can keep Mercedes flush with cash then that can also mean more R+D into the AMG brand and better high end cars overall. I don't think MB would ever consider a spin-off brand name to build these under since they know the value of the three pointed star.
    They have Smart, why not use it?