Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Exclamation The End is Near: Progressive Releases it's Driving Monitoring Hardware Nationally

Progressive Insurance is now offering it's 'Snapshot' hardware to monitor your driving habits and possibly lower your rates up to 30%. They say it only monitors your daily mileage, driving time of day, and how abruptly you stop. They also claim that it won't raise your rates and you can opt out at any time, but the fine print shows that's only for most states. In some states they can raise your rates 9% and use the data, positive or negative, to decide your rate for 12 months.

As of right now they, Big Brother, have managed to keep the formula and data points they use with the system confidential from competitors and customers. Only regulators can see how they are using the data. I couldn't find another example of auto insurance calculations being confidential. Insurance experts are comparing this device to the introduction of using your credit score in your rate calculation. The people that use insurance that takes that into account 'may' get savings, but people that choose to go without the check will automatically be charged higher so is everyone else really saving anything?

Currently Allstate is using a test program for customers with OnStar, but it is only in Illinois with a couple million miles logged. As a comparison the Progressive program already has 2 Billion miles. However the Allstate program also counts the number of times you exceed 80 miles per hour. That could make Mexico runs very costly.

IMHO in our lifetime this is going to become the standard and continue to report more parameters. If you're interested you should check out the amount of data that they can already pull from your car's safety system after a crash if they so choose.

Click here to enlarge

Progressive How It Works and FAQ
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i want to negative rep you. well the product Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    oh $#@!. this will be the straw that breaks us.. 2012 baby. all coming together..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    i want to negative rep you. well the product Click here to enlarge

LOL i was thinking the same thing but couldnt do it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Give it the thumbs down on youtube thats what I did...
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sooo gay my buddy has had this bs for over a year he threw it out his window one day because it kept flashing lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol, good point, just put it in the wifes car or something, maybe your elderly neighbor who doesnt go past 25mph..

and comments need to get approved on youtube..GAY

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    lol, good point, just put it in the wifes car or something, maybe your elderly neighbor who doesnt go past 25mph..

and comments need to get approved on youtube..GAY
    Censorship is important to progessives as well.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think I speak for all car enthusiasts when I say progressive can take that product and shove it so far up their asses that they choke to death on it.

This data is going to be used to help them make money. They will sell it to you under the guise of it "possibly" lowering your rates but if they see you frequently speeding (even 1mph over) I have no doubt they will use it against you. This is not in the consumers interest, it is in the companies interest. I say they can launch that junk into space.

Great, they will put a chip in your car to monitor your driving. Then the government will say let's integrate that data with GPS and speedlimits to automatically give speeding tickets. Then they will get a chip placed in your body to verify you were driving and where you are at all times. Sounds like a stretch? It may be too accurate.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    huh , sometimes i feel it's better to stay here .Nobody cares about your driving unless you kill someone !
    btw got a speeding ticket for 160km/h in a 90km/h zone , that cost me 40$ Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha. Pros and Cons everywhere I guess
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    huh , sometimes i feel it's better to stay here .Nobody cares about your driving unless you kill someone !
    btw got a speeding ticket for 160km/h in a 90km/h zone , that cost me 40$ Click here to enlarge

I want to say I love your country, but should I? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think I speak for all car enthusiasts when I say progressive can take that product and shove so far up their ass that they choke to death on it.

This data is going to be used to help them make money. They will sell it to you under the guise of it "possibly" lowering your rates but if they see you frequently speeding (even 1mph over) I have no doubt they will use it against you. This is not in the consumers interest, it is in the companies interest. I say they can launch that junk into space.

Great, they will put a chip in your car to monitor your driving. Then the government will say let's integrate that data with GPS and speedlimits to automatically give speeding tickets. Then they will get a chip placed in your body to verify you were driving and where you are at all times. Sounds like a stretch? It may be too accurate.
    Couldnt agree more. I believe this will happen one day.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    Couldnt agree more. I believe this will happen one day.
    the ending is soon to come my friend. lol
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    I want to say I love your country, but should I? Click here to enlarge
    loving my country just happen while you are behind the wheel , but in other categories i'm not so sure !
    but really the beauty shines in the road , when a cool officer stops you. quite awhile ago i was in hurry and i was driving like a crazy guy , passed the light (2 am) without the seat belt on .the cool officer stopped me but just charged me $7 for speaking to the cell phone !! officers like him are pretty common

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want to punch that bitch in the face.

EDIT: But $#@! her at the same time.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $#@! that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is so depressing.