Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rt turbo Click here to enlarge
    All these calculators are for crank hp. The one I gave doesnt show a description, plenty more say crank hp. Indeed, my Evo ran 115 with about 350 whp. Il have to dig that dyno up, may have been in the 356 range. its been awhile.

Hel, evidently a stock E36 m3 would only trap 93mph if we went by whp lol

Just for kicks to show you Im right with entering crank and not whp, try entering whp fora stock e46 m3 & weight. Comes to about 96/97 mph. Now enter in crank hp for its weight and it shows 106 mph which is what some of you on here are illuding to for personal runs. Given this, 278whp and 2800 lbs is capable of 112. The guy on BF.com that has run 112 mph had much less than 278 whp but much more weight reduction. Im thinking he was in the 2500lb range or something crazy like that.
    That calculator is not in Crank hp, it is in WHP dont care what you try and say... i typed in my power (WHP) and weight and the trap speed was within 0.5mph of what i trapped...

As far as your dyno, if you dynoed on a DD or a mustang then id say it could be on the low side vs dynoing on a Dynojet...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
    That calculator is not in Crank hp, it is in WHP dont care what you try and say... i typed in my power (WHP) and weight and the trap speed was within 0.5mph of what i trapped...

As far as your dyno, if you dynoed on a DD or a mustang then id say it could be on the low side vs dynoing on a Dynojet...
    The difference is likely much less if power is much higher. I mean, think about that. You are wrong on the calculator. If you used whp, an E46 m3 should only trap 96-98 mph. Proof is in the pudding so to speak. I cannot speak about your particular case, b ut if you look at every other car and subsequent weight, crank hp matches better. For instance, c6 z06, whp =119 mph; crank hp = 125-126. Thats right on again. Maybe you have a spec wrong, or maybe your setup looses less crank to wheel power than other cars? so that difference is much smaller? proof is for crank hp.

I always have used mustang dynos or DD's except with the bmw because I want to correlate to others and most bmw owners seem to use dynojets. However, I feel that mustang and DD's are closer to actual power (as they have been found countless times to be).
    Last edited by rt turbo; 02-21-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    Click here to enlarge
    | GT3582R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS oring block & Elring HG | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 |
    | Nick G custom tune | 46mm Precision gate | 62# injectors | Dual 255's |

Goal to be the first GT35r E36 to: 30 psi, 140+ mph, < 6 second 60-130

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok just to prove you wrong again. i went and typed in 2 other cars i know very well..

My roomates CRX, weighs 1980lbs. made 572whp on a Dynojet and went 9.54@151... 3 mph off of what your calculator says.. still close tho..

My close friends civic, weighs 2500, made 786whp on the same dynojet and went 9.51@158... Dead on with your calculator...

And then i already mentioned my car... So there are 3 cars that all dynoed on the same dynojet and went just as fast as they were supposed to (trap wise that is) for the power they made...

IMO Dynojets are more accurate, they CANT be modified..Every DJ i have ever been on was within 10whp of the other.... your power is what it is... you spin the rollers and the computer calculates how much power you have by how fast you spin them.. thats a vague simple explanation but pretty much what it is haha.. The dyno i use is a Dynojet Model 424xlc2Linx.. one of 2 dynos in the USA with those options (at least it was back when they got it)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    ok found his 1/4 mile time and video in the link below
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1391145

13.3@104
    but to put things into prespective, a bolt-on E9x M3 turned in a 13.5@105 the same day.
    conditions do play a big roll in straight line racing lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mm28 Click here to enlarge
    ok found his 1/4 mile time and video in the link below
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1391145

13.3@104
    but to put things into prespective, a bolt-on E9x M3 turned in a 13.5@105 the same day.
    conditions do play a big roll in straight line racing lol
    Wait a sec, this is for the guys M3 in the video?

104 trap... no surprise.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yes, but the interesting part is a E9x M3 trap within 1mph the same day, same track....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yes, but the interesting part is a E9x M3 trap within 1mph the same day, same track....
    2.5 60 foot, not really all that interesting as the E92 M3 owner struggled pretty badly off the line and likely didn't get on it until late trying to hook up. Look at results for other cars from that track in dragtimes.

The E36 owner hooked well and ran 104... exactly what he should.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok just to prove you wrong again. i went and typed in 2 other cars i know very well..

My roomates CRX, weighs 1980lbs. made 572whp on a Dynojet and went 9.54@151... 3 mph off of what your calculator says.. still close tho..

My close friends civic, weighs 2500, made 786whp on the same dynojet and went 9.51@158... Dead on with your calculator...

And then i already mentioned my car... So there are 3 cars that all dynoed on the same dynojet and went just as fast as they were supposed to (trap wise that is) for the power they made...

IMO Dynojets are more accurate, they CANT be modified..Every DJ i have ever been on was within 10whp of the other.... your power is what it is... you spin the rollers and the computer calculates how much power you have by how fast you spin them.. thats a vague simple explanation but pretty much what it is haha.. The dyno i use is a Dynojet Model 424xlc2Linx.. one of 2 dynos in the USA with those options (at least it was back when they got it)

http://www.60-130.com/images/im...DSC_0046-1.jpg

http://www.60-130.com/images/im...DSC_0044-1.jpg
    So I bring out absolute data, and you bring info about your friends quoting what their car weighs against HP they find. There are a ton more variables at play with every bit of info you brought to the table verses wht I did. So, how do you explain that for a stock e46 m3, if you use WHP it says the mph is 97 mph. If you use 333hp as found at the crank, it shows 106 mph? It works with every other car as well. Maybe your numbers are off, I dunno, but you fail to try to see anything else so Im done with this.

Besides, a DD dyno in shootout mode is actually the best measure for reliability between other DD dynos. Much more reliable between other DD dynos that Dynojet between other dynojets.
    Click here to enlarge
    | GT3582R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS oring block & Elring HG | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I bring out absolute data, and you bring info about your friends quoting what their car weighs against HP they find. There are a ton more variables at play with every bit of info you brought to the table verses wht I did. So, how do you explain that for a stock e46 m3, if you use WHP it says the mph is 97 mph. If you use 333hp as found at the crank, it shows 106 mph? It works with every other car as well. Maybe your numbers are off, I dunno, but you fail to try to see anything else so Im done with this.

Besides, a DD dyno in shootout mode is actually the best measure for reliability between other DD dynos. Much more reliable between other DD dynos that Dynojet between other dynojets.
    No i dont fail to see what you bring the the table... i am telling you what i have personally seen and i know what those cars weigh, i was there when they dynoed and i was there when we corner balanced them.. i have a set of $950 corner balancing scales in my garage that all 3 of us went in on... would you like to know what each tire weighs in at? i can tell you the front tires are within 2lbs of eachother....

The numbers arent off....

106 seems to be a bit high for a stock E46 m3 dont you think? the ones ive seen at the track seem to be in the 100-102 range... Maybe your weight numbers are off and the WHP numbers you are using are on the low side from your DD.... That could be the diff right there..

I am just saying that those 3 cars dynoed, and trapped damn near exactly what YOUR CRANK hp calculator says they should.... Newtons 2nd law says you need to have 524 whp to trap 138 in a 2550lb car in 1320 ft

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No i dont fail to see what you bring the the table... i am telling you what i have personally seen and i know what those cars weigh, i was there when they dynoed and i was there when we corner balanced them.. i have a set of $950 corner balancing scales in my garage that all 3 of us went in on... would you like to know what each tire weighs in at? i can tell you the front tires are within 2lbs of eachother....

The numbers arent off....

106 seems to be a bit high for a stock E46 m3 dont you think? the ones ive seen at the track seem to be in the 100-102 range... Maybe your weight numbers are off and the WHP numbers you are using are on the low side from your DD.... That could be the diff right there..

I am just saying that those 3 cars dynoed, and trapped damn near exactly what YOUR CRANK hp calculator says they should.... Newtons 2nd law says you need to have 524 whp to trap 138 in a 2550lb car in 1320 ft
    There are members posting on this page that they achieved 105-106 mph stock in their e46 m3. Stock E36 m3's trap 100-102.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    2.5 60 foot, not really all that interesting as the E92 M3 owner struggled pretty badly off the line and likely didn't get on it until late trying to hook up. Look at results for other cars from that track in dragtimes.

The E36 owner hooked well and ran 104... exactly what he should.
    Promise, not trying to be so disagreeable with you, or I dont want to come off that way. But normally coming off the line slower, or spinning more results in increased mph along with the increased ET. The times I spin bad, and have a bad 60 ft my MPH is usually much higher than a good clean traction launch.

This is also why you see people quote a higher MPH that is their record that was achieved on a different run than their lowest Et.
    But looking at the mods of the e36, I dont see it having 270 whp. Who quoted that? are we sure this is the same car? I was stating 270 whp 2800 lba car is capable of 110-112, but I dont see it with this example in that video.
    Last edited by rt turbo; 02-22-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    something has to be wrong with that 335i...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Promise, not trying to be so disagreeable with you, or I dont want to come off that way. But normally coming off the line slower, or spinning more results in increased mph along with the increased ET. The times I spin bad, and have a bad 60 ft my MPH is usually much higher than a good clean traction launch.
    Normally, yes, but a 2.5 is not just spinning, it is not hooking period.

My traps come with best 60 foots.

Regardless, an E92 M3 does not trap 105.

This is also why you see people quote a higher MPH that is their record that was achieved on a different run than their lowest Et.
    But looking at the mods of the e36, I dont see it having 270 whp. Who quoted that? are we sure this is the same car? I was stating 270 whp 2800 lba car is capable of 110-112, but I dont see it with this example in that video.
    It has been the opposite for me, best MPH with best 60 foot. Some guys do get higher mph's on worse runs, not for me on the E92 yet though.

I believe this is the same car? Either way, the results definitely support was being said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    60' and trap speed correlate, you will lose mph if you dead hook, but a decent bit of spin will yield better mph, at cost of ET, and then with a horrible 60' 2.2 and worse, it will also slow you down, no exact science but a good estimations

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

yeah its the same car, he got 270wph on a hub dyno, which we all know measures hp at the wheel hub by removing the rims. so the HP needed/wasted inorder to spin the wheels and tires(15whp or so depending on wheel/tire combo) were not accounted for.
    15whp may not sound like much to us in this forum, but it could make a substantial different on topics related to an n/a e36

in any case, this e36 is faster than any n/a e46 i've personally incountered on the streets.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah its the same car, he got 270wph on a hub dyno, which we all know measures hp at the wheel hub by removing the rims. so the HP needed/wasted inorder to spin the wheels and tires(15whp or so depending on wheel/tire combo) were not accounted for.
    15whp may not sound like much to us in this forum, but it could make a substantial different on topics related to an n/a e36

in any case, this e36 is faster than any n/a e46 i've personally incountered on the streets.
    That makes more sense. Does he have any other tries at the track? What altitude was this track in the video?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That makes more sense. Does he have any other tries at the track? What altitude was this track in the video?
    think he was running 555R at the 1/4 track. if you go to the thread at the link, you will have all the details.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123