Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Mmm, not exactly a kill story, but it kind of is...

So we have been getting a lot of snow within the last several days here in Colorado, and even today we still have lots of snow-packed roads.

When I got my 335i with X-drive, I read the stock Continental runflats all season tires pretty much sucked in the snow, so I bought a dedicated set of winter tires. What a difference!

Yesterday I was heading home, when a Subaru WRX saddled up next to me at a light. Remember, the roads are covered in packed snow. When the light turned green, I took off and left him behind...after a couple of blocks we then both merged into a double left hand turn lane...when that turned green, he initiated his left turn, being in the outside lane.

He started swinging his rear end out to the right, and I could see him correcting into the turn, trying to gain traction. Meanwhile I completed the turn on the inside lane and powered away, straight and true.

We eventually ended up close together normal traffic, but the funny thing is - my 2011 doesn't say that it is Xdrive on the back like older models, it just says 335i (the X-Drive moniker is on the side of the car, just behind the front wheels). I could see him checking out my car in the side mirror, probably wondering WTF.

So not exactly a great kill story, but it has been so much fun outrunning trucks and other 4-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with the dedicated winters on. And on that note - I find myself getting used to the soft, cream-cheese ride these tires give! I'm not driving super aggresively since it is winter, but they are so quiet and soft compared to the ride of the Conti run flats, LOL!
    Last edited by RLSinCO; 02-09-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2523 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't really relate because.. well, no snow (pretty hot lately actually, I thought this was supposed to be Winter?)

Dedicated snow tires make a big difference and you being debadge so to speak has to make people scratch their heads. You don't have to race someone at top speed to have a good skill story or enjoy the car. Sometimes just out handling someone or just putting your power down in the snow out of a turn is enough to put a big smile on your face.
    BRAND NEW IN BOX 991.2 standard/non-pse SPW cat bypass pipe for sale - $899 shipped

New generic 991.2 PSE bypass pipes - $499 shipped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    haha that guy must have been scratching his head all the way home
    Click here to enlarge